Borrowing UNCG Library Materials - UNCG Alumni & Retirees, and NonUNCG Patrons
Who Can Register to Borrow
Loan Periods & Limits
Electronic Resource Access
- All applicants/borrowers must present valid photo ID at the time of registration/borrowing. Accepted forms include valid driver’s licenses, state ID cards, military IDs, passports, and IDs from schools at which the applicant is currently enrolled or employed.
- IDs presented with unrecognizable photos require additional photo ID.
- IDs are not transferrable.
- Public and private school students who do not have photo IDs must have a teacher, parent or guardian with photo ID present.
- Additional requirements for each type of borrower may be included below.
Who Can Register to Borrow
All applicants must register at the Check Out Desk in Jackson Library or the Harold Schiffman Music Library service desk unless otherwise noted below.
Alumni of UNC Greensboro may register via the Friends of the UNCG Libraries program ... see information below.
Faculty and Staff Family Members
Spouses, domestic partners and dependent children of current UNCG faculty and staff members may register. Reasonable proof of relationship must be provided. The employee should contact us to make arrangements prior to the family member visiting or visit us with the family member.
Friends of the UNCG Library
Community members may join the Friends of the UNCG Libraries at the Jackson Library Checkout Desk or online for a minimum donation of $25 per year. (When joining online select “Choose a different designation” then “University Libraries General Collection Fund”.) After initial payment Friends may register at the Jackson Library Checkout Desk. (Those paying online will be able to register and borrow immediately. A waiting period applies for other forms of payment. Those joining online should be prepared to show us the email confirmation of online payment.) Upon registration a Friends borrowing card will be issued. When borrowing or renewing the Friends borrowing card and photo ID are required. For further information contact the Jackson Library Checkout Desk at 336.334.5304 or email@example.com.
Greensboro Public Library ReferralsPatrons of the Greensboro Public Library in need of materials that are unavailable there may apply at the GPL main branch for a written letter of referral. Referrals are limited to two items and must include exact titles.
Other Colleges and Universities
Current students and employees with library accounts in good standing from institutions listed below may be eligible to borrow:
- Davidson County Community College - Before visiting, current students should inquire at the home library about referral letters. Current faculty, staff and administrators are required to present proof of employment before registering.
- Guilford School of Theology – Current students, faculty and staff may register upon presentation of a valid, Guilford School of Theology photo ID.
- Mount Olive College - Current students, faculty, and staff and are required to present proof of enrollment/employment before registering.
- OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program participants may register after presenting an OCLC program borrowing card which can be obtained at the home library.
- Pfeiffer University - Current students, faculty and staff are required to present proof of enrollment/employment before registering.
- Randolph Community College - Current Spartan Passage students should tell us that they are in the program so that we can verify participation. Before visiting, other current students should inquire at the home library about referral letters. Current faculty, staff and administrators are required to present proof of employment before registering.
- Rockingham Community College - Current Spartan Passage students should tell us that they are in the program so that we can verify participation. Before visiting, other current students should inquire at the home library about referral letters. Current faculty, staff and administrators are required to present proof of employment before registering.
- Triad Academic Library Association (TALA) Schools - Current students, faculty and staff of libraries participating in TALA are required to present proof of enrollment/employment before registering. See the TALA Privileges website for more information.
- University of North Carolina System Schools - Current students, faculty and staff from other University of North Carolina system schools are required to present proof of enrollment/employment before registering. See the UNC System Reciprocal Borrowing Program.
- Visiting Scholars engaged in study or research but not affiliated with an institution with which UNCG Libraries has a borrowing agreement may apply to the Head of Access Services for borrowing privileges.
Current employees and/or students at the following private schools should inquire with the library or media center at the school before visiting to find out how to register: American Hebrew Academy, Greensboro Montessori School, Music Academy of NC, New Garden Friends School, Oak Ridge Military Academy.
- Guilford County School System Students and Employees; Guilford County Charter School Employees
Current students in the Guilford County Schools System should inquire at their school media center before visiting about referral letters and the International Baccalaureate borrowing program. Current faculty, staff and administrators in the Guilford County Schools and Guilford County charter schools may register with proof of employment and may do so in the Michel Family Teaching Resources Center as well as at the Jackson Library Check Out Desk.
Other Public School Systems and Charter Schools
Current public and charter school teachers and administrators in the following cities and counties may register with proof of employment and may do so in the Michel Family Teaching Resources Center as well as at the Jackson Library Check Out Desk: Alamance/Burlington Schools, Asheboro City Schools, Chatham County Schools, Davidson County Schools, Davie County Schools, Lexington City Schools, Mount Airy City Schools, Randolph County Schools, Rockingham County Schools, Stokes County Schools, Surry County Schools, Thomasville City Schools, Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools, Yadkin County Schools.
Retired Faculty and Staff Members
Faculty and staff members who retired from state service while working at UNCG may continue to borrow and receive the same loan periods and renewals as current employees.
Loan Periods & Limits
|General Stacks Books, Current Literature, Audiobooks, Paperbacks, Audio-Visual Materials, Young Adult Collection
||30-day loans; 10 items on account at one time
||30-day loans, 25 items on account at one time
||7-day loans; 2 at any given time; counts towards total of 10 items on account at one time
|Items on Reserve, Bound Journals, Current Periodicals, Newspapers, Instructional Films & Equipment, Technology Loans
- Borrowers may renew materials from the Stacks, Current Literature, Audiobooks, Paperback, Audio Visual and Young Adult collections online using My Library Account or in person with materials in hand at the service desk in the lending library. (View the Create a Password tutorial.) DVDs may not be renewed.
- Materials renewed 4 times must be brought to the service desk of the lending library to extend additional renewals. (Online renewals and renewals at service desks both count towards the number of times an item can be renewed online.)
- Renewing extends due dates from the date renewed, not the date due.
- Online renewals are not possible when:
- The borrower’s account has expired. No renewal due date will extend past the account expiration date.
- When the borrower owes library fines or fees.
- When specific items have been requested by other borrowers.
- Items have been billed for replacement. (Billed items will be listed under the Charges tab of My Library Account and must be returned to the lending library to renew.) See Library Fines and Fees for more information.
Electronic Resource Access
Access to the University Libraries' licensed electronic resources and databases is only available to NonUNCG patrons when using library owned computers in the Jackson Library or the Harold Schiffman Music Library. Access to many online resources may be provided by public libraries in NC via NCLive. For more information see our Database Access Policy.
Please contact the Libraries if you have any questions or concerns. We will be glad to assist you.