Digital Media Commons (DMC)
Spring Semester Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 AM - Midnight
Saturday: 7:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Sunday: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
The DMC, housed on the lower level of Jackson Library, provides the space and resources for UNCG's students, faculty and staff to create and refine their multimedia projects, including web pages, digital images, digital video, digital audio, PowerPoint and more. Patrons can receive assistance with selecting, using, and citing media resources, as well as consult with experts on the rhetorical, aesthetic, and technical aspects of developing and communicating their ideas through media.
The DMC is staffed by technicians from the University Libraries, digital literacy consultants from Undergraduate Studies’ Multiliteracy Centers Program, and graduate assistants from the Media Studies and Library and Information Sciences departments.
Reserve space in the DMC
In addition to providing a variety of seating options to support individual and group study, the DMC offers several rooms that students, faculty and staff can reserve:
- One Presentation Practice Room, where patrons can practice, record, and play back their presentations.
- Four Consultation Rooms can be reserved online, with DMC staff reservations taking precedence.
- Six media editing rooms where patrons can create podcasts, narrate slideshows, or record and edit other media in quiet.
- 20 (64-bit) Windows workstations with dual monitors.
- Three touch-screen flat-bed scanners. Scan in color, gray scale, or black & white; hi or lo resolution; scan to multiple formats (PDF, Word, JPEG, TIFF, etc.); scan directly to email, Google Docs, USB, or a printer; Scanning is free, printing is .06/printed side.
- Full teaching station with document camera, wall-mounted camera, digital projector, and video capture software. Available in the Presentation Practice Room.
- Four large panel monitors and PCs with wireless keyboards, available in Consultation Rooms.
- Full Microsoft Office 2010 Suite
- Windows Movie Maker and Media Center
- Audacity audio editing
- Adobe Elements, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Premiere