Opened in 1940
More images of the Petty Building
This building, designed by W. C. Holleyman of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1940. From 1940 to 1960, the building was called the Science Building. A wing was added to the original structure in 1952. On February 22, 1960, it was named in honor of Mary Macy Petty.
Previously Known As...
- Science Building (1950-1960)
- Petty Science Building
Mary Macy Petty
More images of Mary Macy Petty
The Petty Building is named in honor of Mary Macy Petty, head of the Chemistry Department from 1893 to 1934. Before coming to the State Normal and Industrial School (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro), Petty had been a charter member of the Guilford College faculty in mathematics and Latin.