Learning Spaces for the 21st Century: The Future of the University Libraries

Mon, 10 Oct 2016 18:47:00 +0000

Jackson Library is busier than ever and filled with students engaged in a variety of learning opportunities. Last year’s record of 1.2 million visitors is double the number from 10 years ago. Those visitors asked library staff over 75,000 questions, and nearly 22,000 attended our instruction sessions and research consultations. There were over 300,000 uses of library technology and technology-assisted learning spaces. Numerous studies show that these activities have a significant positive impact on student learning outcomes.  The Libraries are committed to increasing these important services to our community.

Jackson Library is not slated to be renovated for some time. Meanwhile, UNCG’s enrollment is increasing and our current space configuration does not accommodate the variety of learning environments we should be providing to our students. These environments, along with the expertise of our staff, enable students to create projects needed for their course work including traditional papers, media and 3D objects and support your mission in the classroom.

To accomplish this goal we need to remove some of the shelving in the Jackson Library tower. We will free up shelves by eliminating unneeded duplication of titles, increasing the number of items per shelf, and removing some of the non-essential titles that have not circulated in more than 25 years. Just like pruning your garden, weeding is a standard practice in libraries, and is considered necessary for maintaining a healthy and relevant collection. We estimate that we would reduce the number of titles in our collection by only two to three percent. If you need materials that are not in our collection we remain committed to obtaining them for you through purchase, Interlibrary Loan, shared online collections or other means.

This project will begin in 2016 with a pilot on the 6thfloor of the Jackson Tower. The pilot will provide the opportunity to learn the best procedures for accomplishing our goals. Implementation of the entire project for the Tower will likely take 5-8 years.

If you have any questions or suggestions about this initiative, please contact Beth Bernhardt, Assistant Dean for Collections and Scholarly Communications at


Books Are Fun

A New Drawing Book of Modes - Picart

Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:14:00 +0000

This is a lovely small book on how to sketch the human figure and is part of the University Libraries’ Special Collections and University Archives. It was printed for Richard Ware at the Bible & Sun in Amen-Corner, Warwick-Lane, London, in the late 1700’s, or beginning of the 1800’s.

  The cover received a traditional handmade marble paper design with a 24K gold stamping on a maroon leather title label. A clamshell box was created using the same colors found on the original cover.

Marble papers go back in time for centuries. This technique traveled from the Orient, Middle East and reached Europe in the 1600’s. Today we can find marble paper everywhere, but there are only a few places that are specialized on the making of marble paper in a very traditional way.
A brief history of marble papers can be found here:

UNCG Libraries Diversity and Inclusion Blog

University Libraries Supports Spirit Day

Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:14:00 +0000

On October 20, 2016, millions of Americans will wear purple on Spirit Day in a stand against bullying and to show their support for lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth. Conceptualized in 2010 by a high school student wanting to memorialize those who lost their lives to bullying, Spirit Day has since become an international movement of solidarity for LGBTQ+ kids, teens, and young adults.

Today, 8 out of 10 LGBTQ+ students experience harassment while at school. By inviting students, administrators, faculty, and staff to participate in Spirit Day, we can send a strong message of support to UNCG’s LGBTQ+ and allied students, while taking a firm stand against bullying. The Office of Intercultural Engagement and Division of Student Affairs care deeply about this issue, and would like to see UNCG become a safer place for all.

University Libraries Celebrates Spirit Day by wearing purple

More purple in the afternoon!

For more information on the history of Spirit Day, how you can be involved, and other resources, visit

Friends of the UNCG Libraries

The Friends of the UNCG Libraries are advocates and supporters of the Libraries. Our Friends make a real difference in our ability to serve the campus and the local community.

Lynda Kellam on Horizon Report Library Panel of Experts

Mon, 10 Oct 2016 06:30:00 +0000

Lynda Kellam, Data Services Librarian and Assistant Director of International & Global Studies, has been invited to join the NMC's Horizon Project Library Panel of Experts, which will produce the NMC Horizon Report: 2017 Library Edition. These bi-annual reports examines key trends, significant challenges, and important developments in technology for their impact on academic and research libraries worldwide. 

The report is a collaboration between the NMC and the University of Applied Sciences (HTW) Chur, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) Hannover, and ETH-Bibliothek Zurich, with the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) as key dissemination partner. More information about the Horizon Reports and past editions are available on the NMC website.

Harold Schiffman Music Library at UNCG

HSML Student Employees Fall 2016 - Wheee!

Fri, 16 Sep 2016 18:51:00 +0000

I Know, I should just call this blog the HSML Student Employee Blog, because a majority of posts  for the last few years have been all about these cool people who make all the difference for us and keep us running.

That said, I can't resist doing this again!

Alpha by first name (because, after all ,I am a librarian), here they are, the amazing, the awesome....the SCHIFFMINIONS!!!

Happy New Year!!! We are so happy you are here and part of the HSML team!

















And the Supervisor Team:




Go team!

New DVDs at UNCG

Check-in to see which new DVDs are hitting the shelves in Jackson Library!

New DVDs

Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:23:00 +0000

The legend of Tarzan

Ice age. Collision course

Neighbors 2
The park bench
With this ring

Life, animated
Kings of Kallstadt

Ghostbusters (2016)

The infiltrator

Texas rising

North Carolina Literary Map Blog

The 2016 North Carolina Literary Hall of Fame Ceremony

Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:49:00 +0000

Congratulations!  On Sunday, October 16th, Margaret MaronClyde Edgerton, and Carl Sandburg were inducted into the North Carolina Literary Hall of Fame.  Members of the North Carolina Literary Map team attended the wonderful event held at the Weymouth Center for the Arts & Humanities in Southern Pines.  A great time was had by all!

UNCG Special Collections & University Archives

SCUA collects, preserves, and makes accessible rare, unique, or otherwise significant materials outside the scope of the general UNCG library collection. We also deliver presentations, classes, tours, and exhibits. Our collections include official records, personal manuscripts, rare books, textiles, A/V materials and artifacts. Subject strengths include women's history, literature, theatre, music, and dance.

Happy Founders Day, UNCG!

Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:35:00 +0000

October 5th is the day we celebrate Founders Day and the opening of the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) in 1892. Here are some fun UNCG Founders Day trivia facts for you!

  • On October 12, 1909, the first official Founder's Day was dedicated to the memory of State Normal founder and President Charles Duncan McIver, who had passed away three years prior. Alumnae met in groups across the state, and students placed wreaths on his grave in Green Hill Cemetery. In a letter to alumnae, the Alumnae Association wrote, "We hope that such a day may help the students to understand and appreciate the life work of Dr. Charles D. McIver, the founder and first president of our college. This day will also help impress upon them their relation to the state. For the opportunities offered at a State's College they must as good and useful citizens give their best efforts and services to the state."
  • In 1911, the date of the event was moved to October 5th in celebration of the day in which classes first began at State Normal in 1892.
Wreath laying at McIver grave site in Green Hill Cemetery in 1939
  • In 1912, the McIver Statue was dedicated on Founder's Day. It originally stood in front of the McIver Memorial Building [site of the current McIver Building], but was moved to its current location in front of Jackson Library in the late 1950s.
  • In 1942, during the 50th anniversary celebration, the Litany of Commemoration for Founders Day by Josephine Hege was first introduced.
  • The 1948 Founder's Day ceremony was the first to be broadcast on the radio. Other programs throughout the 1950s were also carried and distributed statewide by local radio station WFMY.
  • 1955 is the first reference we can find in the archives to the Founder's Day ceremony being televised. L. Richardson Preyer delivered the annual Founder's Day address, and it was televised live on WUNC-TV.
  • 1955 is also the first year that a wreath was placed at the McIver statue. Previously, the wreath-laying ceremony was only at the McIver grave site in Green Hill Cemetery.
Wreath laying at McIver statue on campus in 1957
  • In 1958, the address given as part of the Founder's Day ceremony was officially named the McIver Lecture. Dr. Frank Porter Graham, first president of the UNC Consolidated System and, at the time, U.N. Representative for Pakistan and India, delivered the first McIver Lecture.
  • On Founder's Day in 1959, a cornerstone from the previous McIver Memorial Building (razed in 1958) was laid to start construction on the new (current) McIver Building.
  • In the early 1970s, Founder's Day was encompassed within a larger "Falderal" celebration. Falderal also included a campus-wide lunch, a soccer game, celebrations on the Quad, and fireworks.
  • The 1973 Founder's Day celebration featured a 48-foot long cake that weighed in at 900 pounds (300 pounds of icing alone!). There was also a hula hoop contest, a live band, and other activities.
Serving of the giant cake at Founder's Day in 1973
  • In 1977, the Alumni Association launched a McIver Conference, usually a two-day conference featuring lectures by faculty, alumni, and other scholars on art, architecture, and history.
  • Around 1980, the text for the programs and other references switch from "Founder's Day" (singular) to "Founders' Day" (plural). In University Archives, we have a copy of a program from Founders' Day in 1980 where an alumna circled the apostrophe and wrote "I thought this was a typographical error."
  • The McIver Medal was established by the UNCG Board of Trustees in 1983 to recognize "distinguished public service to the state or nation performed by a North Carolinian." It was first awarded in 1985 during the Founders' Day program.
  • 1989 is when the apostrophe was dropped and we went from "Founders' Day" to "Founders Day." All official references since have been apostrophe-free.
To learn more about UNCG history, be sure to read the Spartan Stories blog. A new story is published every Monday morning. You can subscribe via email or RSS feed on the blog site (located in the column on the right side of the page when viewing on a desktop browser).

Today is also #AskAnArchivist Day on Twitter, so be sure to follow us (@UNCGArchives) and send us your questions about UNCG history!

UNCG Special Collections & University Archives

Photos and other fun stuff from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro’s Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives in the University Libraries. You can also follow us on Twitter: @UNCGArchives!

Students get physical in a campus aerobics class in 1986. #uncg...

Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:01:07 -0400

Students get physical in a campus aerobics class in 1986. #uncg #tbt

Spartan Stories

Tales from the University Archives at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Sports at State Normal

Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:00:00 +0000

While competitive athletics are a major part of campus life at UNCG today, early students had to fight for their right to play ball. From its founding, the school (known at the time as the State Normal) emphasized physical activity and personal health. Curriculum in the first year of the school’s existence (1892-1893) included the Department of Physiology and Heath, which had two objectives: instruction in hygiene and an individualized program of exercise. A course in Physical Culture was actually required of all students. The work included gymnastics, calisthenics, and other exercises that were meant to promote the student’s general health and strength. 

Letter from a student to President McIver asking permission
to start a campus Athletic Association, 1898
Students, however, wanted opportunities for athletic competition, not just physical activity. The graduating class of 1900 convinced school president Charles Duncan McIver of the need for a campus Athletic Association and purposefully-built athletic grounds. The campus Athletic Association was formally established in 1900 (15 years before the students established their own student government). By 1902, it had adopted the motto “Athletics and active college work go hand in hand.” In a space that is now the site of the Petty Science Building, the women of the Athletic Association cleared and prepared playing grounds, marked the fields, and installed nets on four tennis courts and basketball goals.

The early Athletic Association, however, was purely intramural, with sponsored tournaments between the freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior classes. As a student noted, “We were taught very strongly the evils that would come from interscholastic sports. This emphasis on winning at any cost was the worst.”

But, in spite of potential evils, a “College Team” was created in 1905 to bring together the best athletes regardless of class. That team, however, didn’t play outside of campus until 1907. Then, they traveled across town for basketball and tennis match-ups against teams from the Greensboro Female College (now Greensboro College). According to the student newspaper, “Fine playing was done by both teams … [but] both the games of Basket Ball and of Tennis resulted in victories for our teams.” This, however, was a one-time event.

Freshman hockey team, 1913
For the most part, team sports were limited to on-campus competitions between the classes. And the Athletic Association led the way in sponsoring these activities. By 1914, the group offered events in basketball, tennis, field hockey, baseball, cricket, golf, camping, and gymnastics. They also sponsored May Day, Field Day, and various sports tournaments throughout the year. Through their dedication and persistence, the women of the Athletic Association ensured that athletics would be a strong component of their college life.

UNCG's Dataland

UNCG's land of data releases, new data sources, fun stats information, and much more!

Presidential Debates and Election Data @ Roper Center

Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:48:00 +0000

Third-Party Candidates: A history
Much Approved! Popular ToolEnhanced
Post Election Panel in Washington D.C. November 16th

UNCG Digital Collections

Digital collections news from UNCG University Libraries

Vintage Viands: Last Call!

Wed, 07 Sep 2016 15:36:00 +0000

Vintage Viands offers opportunities for students, staff, and the local community to sample foods from an earlier era, and reflect on how taste and ingredients change over time. The event, connected through the Home Economics Pamphlets Collection and the Home Economics and Household Collection, offers attendees an online or physical exhibit. 

This year, Vintage Viands is honored to receive the University Libraries' Innovation Grant to support the promotion of the event itself and of the collection. See: 2016-17 Libraries’ Innovation Grant will Showcase Home Economics Pamphlets for more details!

No tickets are needed; ticket link will take you to more information about the event.

University Libraries staff are invited to contribute vintage dishes; there will be prizes and it is possible to be reimbursed for the cost of ingredients. Here's how:

Join us on Friday, September 23, 2016 as we recreate the tastes of the 1920's!

More information here...