Returning Library Material
Special Instructions Related to Covid-19 and Returning Library Items
Students enrolled in summer or fall 2020, continuing UNCG employees, Community and Visiting Borrowers and other visiting borrowers:
Due dates for UNCG-owned items have been advanced to 8/5/2020, and as Interlibrary Loan offices across the country are closed, there is no hurry to return material borrowed via ILL. You are encouraged to follow stay at home orders and to keep all materials borrowed from Jackson, Schiffman, TRC, IRC or IARc libraries and ILL until they are once again open for business. Doing so will assist essential library employees with the workload while the number of hours per week to which they have access to the facility for essential tasks is limited.
• We will be reaching out to student borrowers from high schools and other colleges and universities and their home institutions to discuss options for returning materials.
Graduating students, spring students who are not registered for summer or fall, and employees not continuing employment:
Due dates for UNCG-owned materials will remain 5/8/2020. If you are graduating, your graduation will not be hindered because you did not return items due on 5/8. Students and employees will not be responsible for any monetary charges in the interim. Borrowers with UNCG-owned material on their accounts will receive an email in their iSpartan accounts with additional information regarding returns. If you do not receive this email by May 8, please contact email@example.com. (See Interlibrary Loans section below for information regarding ILL notifications.)
Our outdoor book drops (see below in this page) remain open if you feel that your situation requires that you return your items. The Stirling St. drop is a drive up drop and most items can be dropped without touching anything.
• Please do not return any equipment to the drops.
• Please be sure that the ILL wrappers are attached to any ILL materials placed in drops.
• Be aware that there will be a delay in the check in process. The drops collected at least weekly. UNCG-owned materials will be checked in as staffing, workload and volume allow. ILL materials will be checked in when ILL staff return to working in the library.
In mid-March, all items due between 2/7 and 5/7 were renewed to the due date of 5/8/2020. If you are a UNCG student registered for summer and/or fall courses, a UNCG employee, a Community Borrower or any other non-UNCG affiliated borrower, we have renewed any items on your account due on 5/8 to now be due on 8/5/2020.
• When an opening date for the Libraries is announced, we will contact anyone with equipment and provide special return instructions.
• Check your My Library Account to see the due dates of your checked out items. (Assess to My Library Account expires on 5/8 for students who are not returning to UNCG in summer or fall and employees who are not returning in summer.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or additional information is needed.
• If your University bill has outstanding charges for items that were due prior to 2/7, you have the items in your possession or think that you returned them, and your registration or graduation is blocked due to these charges, please contact us at email@example.com.
All borrowers with Interlibrary Loan (ILL) materials will receive an email to their iSpartan account with special information regarding how to return materials. If you do not receive this email by May 8, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Students and employees will not be responsible for any monetary charges in the interim and keeping ILL materials will not cause blocks on registration or graduation for students unless they were billed prior to March 16, 2020.
• Please be aware that there is a delay in the check in process. If you have already returned or plan to return your materials, they will not be checked in until the ILL staff returns to working in the library.
• If your University bill has outstanding charges for ILL items that were billed prior to March 16, you have the items in your possession or think that you returned them, and your registration or graduation is blocked due to these charges, please contact email@example.com.
• Check your ILLiad account to see what you have checked out. If you have additional questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information regarding outdoor book drop locations and the return of materials under normal circumstances
Materials borrowed from Jackson Library may be returned to the Check Out Desk located on the first floor at the Elliott University Center-Library Connector entrance facing Stirling St. and the Walker Ave. traffic circle. Materials from other libraries may be returned at the desk from which they were borrowed. Please make returns at the desks whenever issues need to be resolved before borrowing again. Other options include using our outdoor and indoor book drops and returning by mail.
Drop Returns and Locations:
For convenience most materials may be returned in our outdoor and indoor drops. Please insert materials gently; books & DVDs, spine first. The following materials should not be returned in drops: tech equipment, VHS tapes, reserve items or other breakable materials. While DVDs may be returned in drops, they and all other materials will be counted as returned at the time the drop is collected. Borrowers returning items in drops are responsible for overdue fines and damage fees and may be blocked from borrowing until drops are emptied and materials are checked in. Below is a list of our drop locations.
- Stirling St. in front of the Walker Ave. Parking Deck and Campus Ministries
- Corner of North Dr. and McIver St.
- Spring Garden St. in front of the Bell Tower
- School of Music - inside the entrance facing the McIver parking deck
- Jackson Library - first floor across from the Checkout Desk and at the College Ave entrance; both include secure DVD drops
Materials returned by paid mail will be counted as returned on the date of postage. We strongly suggest that all shipments include tracking. When returning by campus mail, please include a note with the date mailed inside. To return material by mail, address to:
Off Campus Address:
Access Services Department
PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
On Campus Address:
Access Services Department