Skip Navigation LinksUniversity Libraries | Libraries & Collections | Online Exhibits | Evolution of Jackson Library

The Evolution of Jackson Library

Construction of Jackson Library, 1950

View of Jackson Library from College Avenue, 1953

Color postcard of Jackson Library, created by State News Agency, ca. 1955

Architectural rendering of the Jackson Library Tower addition, 1973

Jackson Library Tower, a few years after it opened, 1977

Jackson Library Tower, ca. 1990

Postcard reprodcution of a watercolor painting of Jackson Library, 1995

Jackson Library, designed by Northrup O'Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1950, replacing the Carnegie Library. On February 22, 1960, the library was named for Walter Clinton Jackson, professor author, and chancellor from 1934 to 1950. The tower addition was designed by Odell Associates of Charlotte, North Carolina, and opened in 1973.

By Patrick Dollar, SCUA student worker, Spring 2013