Overdue Fines and Fees:
Fines are charged on overdue items in order to encourage optimal access to collections. Borrowing and renewing privileges may be blocked when fine and/or fees are owed. *
Stacks, Current Literature, Audio Book, Paperback and Storage Items:
- $.25 per day per item with a maximum accumulation of $10 per item.
- No fines are charged for a grace period of 4 days after the due date when items are returned within the 4 days. Beginning on the 5th day overdue, fines are charged retroactive to the first day overdue, i.e. on the 5th day overdue the fine is $1.25 with $.25 incrementing each day thereafter.
- All items are due by midnight or closing, if earlier, on the due date.
Reading Room/Entertainment DVDs:
- $1 per day per item with a maximum accumulation of $40 per item.
- No grace period.
- All items are due by midnight or closing; if earlier, on the due date.
Reserves and Instructional Films:
- Reserves and Instructional Films have higher fine rates, no grace period or maximum fine and fines are charged around the clock.
- Items are due at the time stated on the checkout receipt.
* While UNCG Faculty is exempt from paying overdue fines, they are responsible for any fees owed. When faculty accounts exceed $99.99 owed, they are blocked from borrowing or renewing until the balance is reduced.
Fees are charged to replace and to compensate for efforts involved in processing unreturned and damaged items.
- Replacement Cost plus Processing Fee for items not returned by the 40th day overdue, declared lost or damaged beyond repair. Replacing items may be a less costly alternative.
- Charges vary according to type of item. Examples: standard books and Reading Room/Entertainment DVDs $75.
- $10. per item service fee included in the Replacement Cost of items borrowed from the Libraries and affiliates but not returned by the 40th day overdue.
- $15. per item service fee charged to UNCG students, faculty and staff for items borrowed from any of the libraries with which the UNCG Libraries’ have a cooperative borrowing program for which we receive a bill.
- Fee added to damage charges to compensate for staff time and effort in repair, reorder, and re-cataloging processes. Fee is determined by the amount of staff time and effort required.
- Processing fees are still owed if item is returned or replaced.
Referral to Collections:
- $15. service fee charged to compensate for referring delinquent accounts to an outside collection agency.
- Charged to compensate for repairs or permanent damages to items. Examples of damages include, but are not limited to, writing/highlighting, missing pages, dog-eared pages, stains and other damages resulting from water, liquid, food spills, etc.
- Charges vary depending upon the extent of the damage.
- Charges may include a processing fee.
Failure to Return Recalled Items:
- Non-negotiable, non-refundable $75 per item fee that is in addition to any overdue fines, replacement and processing fees owed.