About Well Crafted NC
Well Crafted NC collects and promotes the history of breweries in North Carolina from the saloons of the 1890s to the craft breweries of today. We conduct oral history interviews with many of the key players in the NC brewing scene, digitizing materials related to local brewing history, and creating timelines and maps to help trace the changes in the brewing industry across the state.
The initial project launch of Well Crafted NC was funded by the UNCG University Libraries Innovation and Program Enrichment Grant, and focused upon the five Downtown Greensboro breweries and their history. Well Crafted NC currently promotes North Carolina breweries and their history to a broad community, helping locals recognize and appreciate that the current breweries are part of a long history of brewing, while also providing local breweries with a single online resource that traces their histories and places them within the context of the broader development of the brewing industry across the state.
This project is a celebration of brewing history in North Carolina, bringing people into the area to celebrate history and beer and encouraging them to drop by their local breweries during their visit.
- Richard Cox
- Digital Technology Consultant, ERIT, UNCG University Libraries
- David Gwynn
- Digital Projects Coordinator, ERIT, UNCG University Libraries
- Erin Lawrimore
- University Archivist, SCUA, UNCG University Libraries
- Gate City Chatter Ep. 6 - Beer History with Well Crafted NC (Greensboro Parks & Recreation; April 16, 2018)
- Spectrum News; April 14, 2018
- From Single Brothers to Little Brother: New UNCG project documents N.C. brewing history (Greensboro News & Record; April 10, 2018)
- Well Crafted NC To Hold Lanch Event in Downtown Greensboro (UNCG NOW; April 9, 2018)
- CRAFTING HISTORY: Two Historic W-S Breweries,
The Well Crafted N.C. project digs deep into the history of local beer. (Winston-Salem Monthly; April 3, 2018)
- History of brewing in the 'Boro (1808 Greensboro; March 30, 2018)
- Greensboro has rich history of brewing (Fox 8 News; March 21, 2018)
- Biere de Femme Showcases Female Brewers in North Carolina This Saturday (IndyWeek; February 28, 2018)
- In Depth: Biere De Femme Festival Showcases Women in Beer (Spectrum News; February 20, 2018)
- Beer Scout: Pink Boots empowers women brewers, plans second Biere de Femme festival (Mountain XPress; February 14, 2018)
- A Well Crafted NC (The Carolinian; February 14, 2018)
- Greensboro's beer history documented in new online project (Greensboro News & Record; January 30, 2018)
- UNC Greensboro University Libraries Launches Well Crafted NC Project (Society of North Carolina Archivists; January 29, 2018)
- University Libraries to document history of brewing in Greensboro (UNCG NOW; August 3, 2017)
Events & Exhibits
Initial funding for Well Crafted NC was awarded by the UNCG University Libraries Innovation and Program Enrichment Grant.