Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

Search all collections for items

3025 records found browsing for the years 1940-1950.

[Guilford College Graduation]

Martin, Carol W.

1940

Four graduates at Guilford College stand looking at a diploma with Dr. Milner.

Collection: Martin Studio Collection (Greensboro History Museum)

Subjects: Guilford College


This book reveals the missions and goals that were important to the Greensboro College Alumnae Association and includes songs, names of officers and statements from leaders.

Collection: Guilford Vertical Files (Greensboro Public Library) (Greensboro Public Library)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


Pine needles [1940]

Guyer, Lois Z.

1940

The 1940 yearbook contains a commencement program, baby pictures of the seniors, and a class history. The yearbook of the institution known since 1963 as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was published between 1902 and 1993, first as The Decennial (1902), later as The Carolinian (1909-1917), and finally as Pine Needles (1920-1993).

Collection: University Yearbooks (UNCG University Archives) (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina College for Women; North Carolina College for Women--Students--Yearbooks; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina--Students--Yearbooks; University of North Carolina at Greensboro; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Students--Yearbooks


Catalogue and bulletin of Woman's College of the University of North Carolina located in Greensboro, N.C.

Collection: Course Catalogs (UNCG University Archives) (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Woman's College of the University of North Carolina--Curricula--Catalogs; Universities and colleges--Curricula--Catalogs


May sisters (Sylvia, Norma, Mary, and Charlene) on Commerce Place in downtown Greensboro. The sisters' grandmother lived nearby on Library Place (now the southern part of Commerce Place).

Collection: CC021 David Gwynn [Personal collection] (Personal collection)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) History


May sisters (Sylvia, Norma, Mary, and Charlene) on Commerce Place in downtown Greensboro, probably at Easter. The sisters' grandmother lived nearby on Library Place (now the southern part of Commerce Place).

Collection: CC021 David Gwynn [Personal collection] (Personal collection)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) History


Myrtle and Bon May at Audrey Lea Cafe on Burlington Road outside Greensboro. The Mays operated the cafe in the late 1930s.

Collection: CC021 David Gwynn [Personal collection] (Personal collection)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) History


Sylvia May with bicycle in downtown Greensboro.

Collection: CC021 David Gwynn [Personal collection] (Personal collection)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) History


The entrance to North Dining Hall, circa 1940.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph shows the Pecky Cypress Room in the Alumnae House in 1940. It appeared in the February 1940 Alumnae Newsletter. For hand tinted version, see CVA47b.2.010.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the Spencer Residence Hall with the Dining Halls in the background in the 1940s. The Spencer Residence Hall, designed by W. C. Holleyman of Greensboro, North Carolina, consists of two connecting building; North Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1904, and South Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1907. The building was named in honor of Cornelia Phillips Spencer, a poet, social historian, and journalist. She was instrumental in having the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill reopened after Reconstruction.The Dining Halls complex was built over a span of thirty-five years. Spencer Dining Hall was built in 1904, West (later Spartan) Dining Hall in 1921, South Dining Hall (later State) in 1924, Kitchen in 1927, and North Dining Hall in 1939. The four dining rooms and kitchen extend like spokes from the hub of a wheel. The complex was renovated in 1987-1988.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the columns of the the auditorium.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the entrance to the the auditorium, as seen from Tate Street, circa 1940.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1940s photograph shows a bus going underneath the Walker Avenue Bridge.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the entrance to the Log Cabin in 1940. This photograph appeared in Pine Needles 1940, on page eleven.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the entrance to the Science Building as seen the year it opened in 1940.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Carnegie Library as seen from across College Avenue in 1940. The photograph appeared in Pine Needles 1940 on page eight, and Pine Needles 1943 on page 183.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the entrance to the Science Building.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized image of the remains of the original Curry Building's portico entrance, covered in ivy. The postcard was created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized image of the Guilford Residence Hall as seen from across College Avenue, circa 1940. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. The inscription on the postcard reads, "New Guilford Dormitory, Woman's College, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Quadrangle]

Wootten, Bayard

1940

This postcard, photographed by Bayard Wootten, shows the Quadrangle. The inscription reads, "Dormitories at W.C.U.N.C., Greensboro, North Carolina."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Hand-colored postcard showing Cotten Residence Hall in the Quad. Front of the card reads: Cotton Hall, Woman's College, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, N.C.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Hand-colored postcard of Shaw Residence Hall in the Quad with Rosenthal Gymnasium in background, circa 1940.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Hand-colored postcard showing the Woman's Dormitory in 1940. The incription reads, "Woman's Hall, Woman's College, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Academic Robe]

Cotrell and Leonard, Albany NY

1940

Black academic Doctor's robe with black velvet details owned by Walter Clinton Jackson.

Collection: UA107 Textile Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Previous - listing page 3 of 121 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo