Jackson Library Lactation Room
Due to COVID-19, procedures for using the lactation room have changed. Be aware that the situation might change rapidly. Please check these web pages regularly:
Jackson Library Tower Room 570 is a private space for students, employees, and visitors to pump or to breastfeed/chestfeed a baby. (Note: parents or caretakers may also breastfeed/chestfeed babies in other areas of Jackson Library if they choose.)
The room is cleaned daily. Extra precautions are being taken with this room and this building, but you use this room at your own risk. If you suspect that you have COVID-19, don't use this room.
Request the key at the Checkout Desk. Please check the Jackson Library operating hours prior to your visit.
This room contains the following:
- A hospital-grade Medela Symphony pump. Users must supply their own Symphony pump kit (kits for Medela home pumps such as the Pump in Style are not compatible with hospital-grade pumps).
- Hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
- Wireless Internet access.
There is no sink in the room. Restrooms are located along the back wall of the tower.
For your safety, and safety of others:
- Continue to wear your face covering while in this room.
- Don't use this room if you suspect that you are sick or have been in contact with anyone with suspected/confirmed COVID-19.
- Don't share the room with others - except for your babies/children.
- Use good hand hygiene before and after pumping:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, in the restrooms located along the back wall of the tower.
- Use the available hand sanitizer in the room.
- Wipe surfaces that you and your belongings touch before and after you use the room, including:
- The counter, chair, and doorknob (both sides).
- If you use the Medela Symphony pump, follow the instructions for wiping it.
- Be mindful of the amount of hand sanitizer and wipes that you use:
- Do not remove any supplies from the room.
- If supplies run out, look for the disinfecting wipes dispenser near the elevator and notify the Checkout Desk: 336.334.5304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please limit your visit to 60 minutes:
- This room should remain empty for at least 30 minutes between different users.
- It is currently unknown how long COVID-19 remains active in an empty, enclosed space.
Before visiting the room for the first time, new or expecting parents are advised to contact one of the following employees for information:
- Lea Leininger, Health Sciences Librarian
- Ann Perdue, Jackson Library Stacks and Remote Storage Manager
Another lactation room is located in the Bryan Building (Bryan School of Business & Economics), Room 344G. Contact Jacqueline Smith at email@example.com for details.