Opened in 1905
More images of the Forney Building
This building, designed by Hook & Sawyer of Charlotte, North Carolina, opened in 1905 as the Carnegie Library, and was expanded in 1922. The building was partially destroyed by fire on September 15, 1932, and was enlarged during its reconstruction. The Library reopened in 1933. In 1955, the building was extensively renovated for classroom use and in 1957 was named for Edward Jacob Forney.
Previously Known As...
- Carnegie Library (1905-1957)
Edward Jacob Forney
More images of Edward Jacob Forney
The Forney Building is named in honor of Edward Jacob Forney, who was a charter member of the faculty. He was also the secretary to President McIver. Forney was the College’s treasurer and chair of the Commercial Department from 1892 to 1940. He was a part of the faculty at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro for almost 50 years.