Mission, Goals and Customer Service Values
Through expertise in information services, the University Libraries foster the success and impact of the UNC Greensboro community by promoting learning, inspiring creativity and enhancing research and collaboration in a diverse and innovative environment.
- Innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Culture of diversity and inclusion
- Communication that empowers and fosters openness
- Accountability and excellence in service and programming
- Atmosphere of continual learning
- Culture of sustainability
- Serve as the information and learning hub for the campus by providing quality information services, technology, resources and learning environments.
- Build, organize, preserve and make accessible print, electronic and unique collections that support the University's mission and programs.
- Partner with faculty to develop learning tools and instructional technologies so that information literacy and research skills are integrated into the curriculum.
- Enhance the research mission of the University by collaborating with faculty to develop resources and create content.
- Create a safe and inclusive environment by strategically embracing and enhancing diversity throughout the University's constituencies, culture, curriculum and outreach activities.
- Provide leadership on campus and beyond on scholarly communication issues by promoting open access and other new publishing models through programming and resource development.
- Engage with community partners to provide programs and resources that enhance the life of the University and community and build long-term support for the Libraries.
Customer Service Values
The University Libraries (UL) currently are recognized as providing excellent service in terms of treating our customers with courtesy and respect and in providing a high level of library materials and resources; thus our primary goal is to build on and extend that tradition of excellence.
While the faculty, staff and students of the University are our first priority, everyone will receive courteous and friendly service, regardless of location and University affiliation. Employees of the Libraries are also customers and should be treated as such.
All UL staff will ensure that our customers receive timely, courteous, and accurate assistance. In order to create a service environment in which customers are valued, the Libraries must develop a work environment for all staff in which these service standards are reinforced and rewarded. We must provide an environment that encourages creativity and innovation in the delivery of our services. To these ends:
We will empower our staff to provide highly-responsive service.
- We will encourage staff to find creative ways to provide assistance and go the extra mile.
- We will provide ongoing training to enable and enrich our staff.
- We will give our employees the freedom to make decisions that help our customers.
- We will honor and recognize our employees for good customer service.
We will create systems, services, and procedures with our customers' needs foremost in mind.
- We will develop and deliver systems and services that are flexible, creative, and efficient.
- We will provide an environment which promotes follow-through in resolving questions and problems.
We will value our customers through our actions and services.
- We will be reliable, accountable, and have integrity in maintaining the confidentiality of our customers.
- We will be respectful of our diverse customers and respond to their needs.
- We will display empathy in our treatment of others - considering and respecting their points of view.
- We will communicate on the level of the customer - avoiding all jargon and explaining concepts clearly.
We will make services easily accessible.
- We will be alert and attentive as we move throughout the library, ready to offer assistance.
- We will strive to offer on site and remote services for the convenience of our customers.
- We will be mobile in helping customers, providing seamless service whenever possible.
- We will provide ways for customers to give us feedback on how we are adhering to these values.