Embedded Librarian Services
A librarian added to your online course as a course builder for a period of time to support your student learners in their research process.
Why do I need an embedded librarian?
There are many reasons that online classes are chosen, and often these reasons prevent students from visiting the physical library and learning about our resources. Thus the library has collected a significant amount of electronic resources that can be accessed remotely. Whether just out of high school or returning after many years, many students have difficulties and need help, not only accessing resources from off campus, but knowing what resources and services are available to them. Without the opportunity for a typical in-person library instruction session with a class, a librarian can become embedded to support students in their space virtually.
What can the embedded librarian do for your class?
- help learners use the library's online resources such as journal databases and e-books
- help learners find appropriate web resources
- assist learners with finding and requesting library materials that are not online
- help with citation formats
- provide web based tutorials about the online library resources
- help learners access materials the library does not own
- collaborate with instructor to develop an assignment based library instruction session
- facilitate a discussion board in your Canvas classroom (typically for 5-10 days) to answer learner questions regarding finding and using library resources
Contact the online learning librarian or your subject specific librarian.