Moore Humanities and Research Administration Building opened and was named for Beverly Cooper Moore and Irene Mitchell Moore. Beverly Moore was chair of the first Board of Trustees from 1972-1975.
Gatewood Studio Arts Building opened and was named for Maud Gatewood, a member of the Class of 1954 and noted North Carolina artist.
The Anna M. Gove Student Health Center was renovated and enlarged.
The Spring Garden Apartments, a residence hall, opened.
The Jackson Library - Elliott University Center Connector opened.
The International Honors College was renamed the Aubrey Paul and Georgia Garrison Lloyd International Honors College after the University received a $4 million gift from 1950 graduate Rebecca A. Lloyd.
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classified UNCG as a research university with "high research activity."
Claudia Emerson, a 1991 graduate of the Master of Fine Art program at UNCG, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry.
Beth Leavel, a 1980 graduate of the Master of Fine Art program at UNCG, received a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical.
The Higher Education Area Transit (HEAT) bus system began serving UNCG, along with other area colleges and universities.
For the first time, over 2,000 bachelor degrees were awarded with 2,104 students graduating.