As in past decades, UNCG saw growth and change in many areas during the 1990s. The University celebrated its 100th birthday in the 1991-92 academic year under the tagline "Celebrate Our Century". Athletics moved into Division I after a progressive campaign to improve the visibility of the program. The University also welcomed its first female Chancellor in 1995, Patricia Sullivan. More and more, UNCG continued to institute the developments it would need to be recognized as an outstanding institution of higher education.
- 1991 - The North Carolina General Assembly declared February 19th "UNCG Day"
- 1991 - UNCG Athletics entered Division I
- 1991 - The University's Centennial Celebration began
- 1994 - Debra Stewart was named Acting Chancellor
- 1995 - Patricia Sullivan was named Chancellor