A $16 million building to house the School of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance was completed. This is the largest building on campus, and incorporates Coleman and Rosenthal Gymnasiums.
Cone Building opened, and was named for Anne Wortham Cone - a member of the Class of 1935 - and her husband Benjamin Cone. The building houses the Weatherspoon Art Museum.
The School of Music awarded its first doctor of musical arts degree, a performance concentration offered at only five other institutions in the Southeast.
The Research Excellence Award was established.