June - The Woman's College awarded its first doctor of philosophy degree to Nancy White. This was the only doctor of philosophy the institution awarded as the Woman's College.
July 1 - The name of the College was officially changed to The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The entire University of North Carolina system - including The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) - became co-educational.
Grogan Residence Hall opened and was named for Ione Holt Grogan, a member of the Class of 1913 and professor of mathematics from 1935-1958.
Reynolds Residence Hall opened and was named for Katharine Smith Reynolds, the wife of tobacco baron R.J. Reynolds and State Normal and Industrial College student from 1897-1900.
The campus police were given the power to make arrests.
The first Honors Convocation was held.
The University Sinfonia was organized by George Dickieson.