Walter Clinton Jackson retired, and was succeeded as Chancellor by Edward Kidder Graham.
The new Library building opened. In 1960, it was named for Walter Clinton Jackson.
Mendenhall Residence Hall opened, and was named for Gertrude Whittier Mendenhall, charter faculty member and head of the Department of Mathematics from 1892 to 1926.
Ragsdale Residence Hall opened, and was named for Virginia Ragsdale, professor of math from 1911 to 1928 and third member of the faculty to hold a PhD degree.
Claribel and Etta Cone gave works of art by Matisse, Picasso, and other French and American artists to the Weatherspoon Art Gallery.
The College Avenue Bridge over Walker Avenue's road bed was demolished.