In 1942, the College celebrated its 50th year in operation. This decade also saw the growth in arts and sciences with the founding of the Weatherspoon Art Gallery, Arts Forum, and Social Science Forum. Expansion once again increased after the stagnation of the 1930s, as new dormitories and classroom buildings were completed. There could be no doubt that the little Normal School which began in 1892 had come a long, long way.
The College continued to owe its prosperity to the talented and dedicated faculty and administrators which nurtured the College's academic and social life. Harriet Elliott, Dean of Women, provided a progressive example for the students with her involvement in the women's naval auxiliary (WAVES) during the Second World War. So great was the College's respect for Elliott that the Social Science Forum, which began in 1948, was named in her honor. After Foust's departure in the 30s, the College's leadership passed to the capable hands of Walter Clinton Jackson. It was with great fortune that the first 50 years of the College had seen such dedication and commitment through its students and faculty.
- 1941 - The College began its 50th anniversary celebration
- 1949 - The College became "the largest college for women in the United States"