Unfortunately, like much of the nation, the College fell on hard times beginning in the 1930s. The Great Depression would cease expansion and renovation, but would not deter the spirit of the students. Foust Building was renovated in 1930, marking the last project completed before the Great Depression. While the 30s did not see the construction of numerous buildings as it had in the 20s, the student body continued to grow. For a short period of time, men were even allowed to attend the school due to the economic hardship faced by many local families.
One significant exception to the stagnation of construction in the 1930s was the Alumni House, which opened in 1937. The House was completed due in large part to the tireless efforts and planning of Alumni Secretary Clara Booth Byrd. The building was modeled after the Homewood residence in Baltimore, Maryland, which was built by Charles Carroll: a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1932 - The name of the College was changed to the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina
- 1934 - Walter Clinton Jackson was named head of the College with the title of Dean of Administration