Faculty Council, 1895-1991
General Faculty, 1991-
Faculty Council/General Faculty, Minutes and Related Materials, 1895-1996
4.75 linear feet (9 boxes, 4 bound volumes)
The records include the minutes of the Faculty Council meetings from 1895 to 1991. Related material is filed with the minutes of the meeting in which the material was discussed. The General Faculty replaced the Faculty Council in 1991. Minutes - including related agendas and memoranda - are received on a continuing basis.
This collection is open for research.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
[Identification of item], Faculty Council/General Faculty, Minutes and Related Materials, 1895-1996, UA 1.2, University Archives and Manuscripts, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The records for 1895-1949 were transferred to the University Archives by the Office of the Registrar. They remained in classed archives until joined with the records for 1950-1972 sent from the Office of the Chancellor in September 1984. The records for 1972-1991 were taken from the records of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. In February 2006 the Office of the Registrar transferred additional records dating from 1949 to 1991 and those records were merged with the existing records.
Processed by University Archives Staff
Finding aid updated in September 2007 by Dean Rhoades
Originally, the Faculty Council included all members of the faculty. It was reorganized in 1921 during the revamping of college administration. In 1922 Dr. Julius I. Foust set the membership to consist of professors and associate professors. In 1934 the Council was extended to include other faculty members.
The Faculty Council was the main body for faculty governance and the legislative body of the faculty. The Council approved academic requirements for undergraduate degrees, acted on recommendations from the Academic Cabinet and university committees, and advised and counseled the administration. The membership in 1992, according to the Faculty Handbook, consisted of the Chancellor, all the Vice Chancellors, Deans, the Directors of Admissions, Career Planning and Placement Center, Counseling and Testing Center, Continuing Education, Health Services, Information Services, the Library, Orientation, Residence Life, Security, Student Activities, Student Aid, and Summer Session, the Registrar, the Secretary of the Alumni Association, and all full-time and emeriti faculty. Meetings were held no less than twice a year. The Chancellor served as chair and presiding officer. A vice chair served in his absence. The Academic Cabinet was the major body of the Council. Due to a change in faculty governance, the Council was abolished and the General Faculty was established in September, 1991.
Papers are arranged chronologically.
Minutes, October 1895 – June 1905
Minutes, September 1905 – May 1932 [bound volumes]
Minutes, September 1932 – May 1949
Minutes, 1949/50 – 1957/58
Minutes, 1958/59 – 1963/64
Minutes, 1964/65 – 1970/71
Minutes, 1971/72 – 1976/77
Minutes, 1977/78 – 1990/91
Minutes, October 1991 - 1996