RIS Mission Statement and Goals
The Reference & Instructional Services Department
of Jackson Library supports the University and Library missions by providing excellent research
and instructional services to all Library users.
Services and Collections:
- Provide expert reference and information service to all library users regardless of location.
- Provide an inviting and welcoming environment for learning and research.
- Provide leadership in developing increasingly effective reference collections in all formats to guide patrons through a variety of research processes.
- Provide leadership in Library-related activities by serving as liaisons.
- Develop the Libraries' collection
to support the teaching and research needs of the University.
- Provide instruction in the retrieval and use of information resources to groups and individuals.
- Take initiative to target classes/groups for instruction.
- Develop techniques and modes of instruction delivery taking into account
different learning styles, location of users, and current technologies.
Organizational Climate and Culture:
- Treat all patrons with respect and courtesy
- Treat all colleagues with respect, encouragement, and a supportive attitude.
- Collaborate and communicate with colleagues to fulfill Library goals
- Constantly seek to expand professional knowledge and expertise