Help With Searching
You may search our site for digitized materials on different topics by using a keyword search. Keyword examples: basic training, Camp Lejeune, marching, gas mask, Manila.
- You do not need to capitalize proper nouns.
- Do not use quotation marks.
- Avoid searching by plural nouns
- Do not use "wildcards" or special symbols. For example "Europ*" will not yield any results, wheras "Europ" will yield "Europe" AND "European."
- The Keyword Search searched the description and scope/content fields.
Searching for collections using the online catalog
To find additional materials that are not available in digital format online, especially books and pamphlets, you can search the library's online catalog. Note that not-digitized contents from each collection can be viewed at the bottom of each collection page.
Choose Catalog >Advanced Search>Limit by Location> Pull down to "Archives -Women Veterans Historical Collection. You can do a keyword by subject search.
Here are a few suggested subject categories:
- American National Red Cross.
- Korean War, 1950-1953--Participation, Female.
- Korean War, 1950-1953--Women--United States.
- Military nursing--United States.
- Military uniforms.
- United States. Army--Nurses.
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps--Uniforms
- United States--Armed Forces--Women.
- United States. Army Nurse Corps.
- United States. Cadet Nurse Corps.
- United States. Naval Reserve. Women's Reserve
- United States. Navy Dept. Nurse Corps.
- United States. Navy-Nurses.
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975--Women--United States.
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975--Participation, Female.
- Women air pilots--United States.
- Women Airforce Service Pilots (U.S.)
- Women sailors--United States.
- Women veterans--North Carolina.
- Women veterans -- United States.
- World War, 1939-1945--Participation, Female.
- World War, 1939-1945--War work--Red Cross.
- World War, 1939-1945--Women
Searching for contents using finding aids
Larger collections in the WVHP have detailed finding aids in encoded archival description (EAD). A finding aid is both a guide to and an inventory of a collection. Each finding aid gives information about the veteran and describes in detail the content of a the collection, including how the collection is organized.
- WV0001, General Textiles and Artifacts
- WV0002, General Printed Materials and Recordings Collection
- MSS044, United States War Poster Collection
- WV0049, Charlesanna L. Fox Papers
- WV0056, Judith Bullock Nisbet Collection (WAVES WWII)
- WV0059, Mary Ellen West Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0079, Doris Wofford Armenaki Papers (Cadet Nurse Corps and Army Nurse Corps WWII)
- WV0098, Gretchen C. Davis Collection (Army 1970s-1990s)
- WV0115, Jane Gail Brister Papers (WAC 1940s-1960s)
- WV0119, Mary Haynsworth Mathews Papers (American Red Cross WWII)
- WV0123, Maggie V. McPherson Papers
- WV0185, Susie Winston Bain Papers (WASP WWII)
- WV0219, Lillian M. Newbanks Pimlott Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0253, Marcelle Fischer Papers (WAC WWII)
- WV0277, Barbara A. Kucharczyk Papers (USAF 1970s-1990s)
- WV0287, Arline E. Furstman Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0290, Judith C. Bennett Papers (WAC WWII)
- WV0293, Katherine W. Toll Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0297, Esther Gilbert Scrapbook (Red Cross WWII)
- WV0298, Lou A. Hedding Memoir (WAC WWII)
- WV0299, Grace I. Brown Letters (ANC WWI)
- WV0300, Ruth Curtis Letters (Red Cross WWII)
- WV0301, Aileen D. White Letters (ANC)
- WV0302, Shirley M. Tillson Letters (WAVES WWII)
- WV0303, Bessie L. Herbert Photograph Album (WAC WWII)
- WV0304, M.A. Lincoln Letters (WWI)
- WV0306, Genevieve Crick Letters (WAC WWII)
- WV0307, Lauretta Webster Wilkin Letters (WAC WWII)
- WV0309, Norma L. Harris Collection (WAC WWII)
- WV0310, Mary "Pat" Elizabeth Partridge Papers (ARC)
- WV0314, Annie Huheey Letters (ANC WWI)
- WV0316, Sara Furman Letters (YWCA WWI)
- WV0318, Shirley R. Smith Correspondence (Red Cross WWII)
- WV0319, Ruth Mary Petry Papers (WASP WWII)
- WV0320, Anne Elisabeth Heyer Papers (WAC WWII)
- WV0322, Nancy E. Carter Family Letters (WAC 1940s-1960s)
- WV0326, Marie Louise Pihlblad Papers (WAC WWII)
- WV0341, Betty Magnusson Letters (WAC WWII)
- WV0342, Marjorie L. Jackson Letters (WACAAF WWII)
- WV0345, Virgilia Williams Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0358, Wilma Leona Jackson Uniform Collection (NNC 1950s)
- WV0366, Catherine "Kay" Cox Letters (WAC WWII)
- WV0381, Evelyn E. Horton Papers (WAC WWII)
- WV0389, Janet Muriel Mead Letters (WAVES WWII)
- WV0219, Caroline Morrison Garrett Papers (WAVES WWII)
- WV0418, Dr. Mary Emily Lapham Papers (Red Cross WWI)
- WV0429, Molly Thavenet Scrapbook (WAC WWII)
- WV0450, Clara Fredere Sullivan Collection (Army nurse WWI)