3. JOURNAL A-Z List

The Betty H. Carter Women Veterans Historical Project

Diary of Jennie Kwiatanowski, 1943

Search the Collection


Object ID: WV0313.3.001


Jennie Kwiatanowski served as a member of the WAAC [Womens’ Army Auxiliary Corps] during World War Two. Her diary spans the time period from March 23, 1943 to June 27, 1943. It largely chronicles her early training near Daytona Beach, Florida, as an auxiliary member of the Army motor pool.

The diary is primarily concerned with Kwiatanowski’s day-to-day routine, and thus provides detailed descriptions of her military training and social life.

Creator: Jennie Kwiatanowski

Biographical Info: Jennie Kwiatanowski joined the WAAC (Women's Auxiliary Army Corps) in 1943 and served as a driver in the motor pool transport at Daytona Beach.

Collection: Jennie Kwiatanowski Diary

Rights: It is responsibility of the user to follow the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). Materials are not to be reproduced in published works without written consent, and any use should credit Jackson Library, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Full Text:


View a PDF image of the original document.
(Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.)

[March 23, 1943]

Margaret picked me up at 4:10 P.M. We all had a turkey dinner at McCann's. “Dot” and I rushed through our meal; because I was afraid of being late for the first meeting. McCann's was crowded; and we had a long wait before we got our tables. “Dot” and I did get to the post-office at 6:00 but why did we rush? We waited 'till 6:30 before a word was said to us. After getting a little advise and copies of our orders, the crowd paraded around the triangle over those bumpy cobble stones. The A.W. girls shouted my name as I passed them. Then to the station. What a crowd! It was impossible to move; but Edna was my guide. “Marg” had checked my large bag. The two of us met the girls in the station. Push! Shove! Noise!

Edna bought me a few magazines. The girls left me at 10 to 8 with hand-shakes, best wishes, etc. “Marg” cried. The gate opened at 8:20. I was assigned to the second car and took the 4th berth. Mina came along and asked if she couldn't bunk with me. We sat on our all-ready made bunks 'til the train got under way. (9:00?) Stella Ferguson (30) had the bunk above me. Eva Roskovich (22) was across from her. Dorothy Hamilton and Katie Sue slept together across from me. We kept together most of the trip. Eva and I shared my sandwiches and cookies. They certainly tasted good. Undressed behind the curtain and got into bed. Some of the girls at the end of the car were drinking, smoking, and telling dirty stories. It was disgusting! Cookie Bidwell! Foul mouth! She kept razzing Jackson, the colored porter. The first night on the Pullman wasn't a good one. I tossed a good bit and it was cold. I was glad I had my coat.

[March 24, 1943]

We were in Cincinnati, Ohio at 5:30 and stayed 'till 8:00. I crawled out of the berth at 6:45 and dressed. We had breakfast about 9:30—mother's oats, bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, coffee. Tip 10¢.

W. Va.

Lexington, Ky.—11:30

Danville, Ky.—12:30


Lunch at 2:00 P.M.—roast beef, gravy, whole potatoes, new peas, 1000 island dressing on lettuce, apple pie with too much nutmeg, milk, H2O, 10¢ tip.

Played “500” with Florence, Peggy, and ?

Later played “bridge” with Camille, Florence, and Dorothy H.

Stopped at Chattanooga, Tenn. Left there at 6:45 P.M. Passed the Tenn. Valley Dam just before getting to Chattanooga.

Kentucky was covered with what seemed to be the remains of a glacier. Large boulders here and there. Mountainous—chains of tunnels. One story houses, sheep, steer.

At 7:15 we went in to eat a supper of creamed chicken, creamed lima beans, sweet potatoes, bread, butter, salad, coffee, ice-cream. Stella and I ate every meal on the train together. Another 10¢. As we ate we crossed the border—into Georgia. We stopped a while in Dalton. The train stopped in Atlanta at 10:25 and remained 'till about 11:10. If we were permitted to get off the train, I would have called “Joe.” Waycross wasn't far away. In fact we passed it later without my knowing it, I think. The night was noisy, as usual. Somebody attempted to sing. At most of the stops the girls opened their windows and “carried on.” Stella and I chatted. I mean Stella chatted. She's a great little talker, something like Regina.

[March 25, 1943]

When I got up at 7:00, we were 110 mi. below Jacksonville, Fla. We reached Jacksonville at 9:00. Several planes roared overhead. We had a breakfast of orange and grapefruit juice, oat meal, scrambled eggs, sausage, bread, butter, coffee, H2O—10:40 A.M. 10¢. 75 mi. more to our destination—Daytona Beach.

The girls “pitched-in” (10¢) to give to “Jackson” for small favors, etc. Frequent rainbows just outside our windows—pretty to see. Negroes were numerous. Turpentine trees—tapping.

At 12:00 noon we were in Daytona. Left our luggage there and walked a few blocks, in formation to the processing center (empty storeroom). Got luggage tags, medical, etc. checked. A long trailer type bus took us to the field camp—Tent City—Bethune Point. The mess consisted of fritters, tomatoes, pineapple, bread, butter, iced tea.

At the bed-check building I was labeled J-32, got assigned to tent 12, bed 8 lower. In our tent were 10 girls—Doris, Evelyn, Madeline, Mickey, Lydia, Eva, Stella, Dot, Peg and I. We got our luggage and settled in our tent—home for a day or two. “Dot” took a few pictures. From our took you could get a good few of the bay. We all read our regulations, filled out a form on experience (we never did turn it in), washed our hose and panties, and ourselves. The latrine was about 50 ft. from our tent.

Our supper consisted of pork chops, sweet potatoes, iced tea, rice, raisin pudding. Played some 500. I was in bed before 9:00—tired as could be. The girls kept up a steady chatter which put me to sleep. I think I was asleep before 10.

[March 26, 1943]

The flashlight came in handy last night. I awakened at 2:55, again at 4:45, and finally at 5:15 at which time I got up, and made the bed. Breakfast—ham, scrambled eggs, coffee, cold, hard toast. A truck took us to the testing building in town. I was slower on the General Test this time. I got only 112 done. We also took a mechanical aptitude and blue print test. What a puzzle to unscramble. The radio-telegraphy test wasn't for me either. All the sounds were alike to me.

We were back at Tent City at 12:30 for lunch. Some of the girls were already assigned for K.P. Lunch—tomato soup, potatoes, fish chocolate pudding (bah!), powdered lemonade, cabbage, celery, bread, 2 1/2 butter. Washed up and waited to be called out again. Started a card game but were called out for drill.

Crabtree taught us a few commands, most of which I already knew: attention, at east, at rest, present arms, order arms, parade rest, left face, right face, mark time, forward march, halt.

Again we were off. —A truck took us to the classifying and interviewing depot. Took a typing test and was interviewed. The officer in charge suggested recruiting; but I didn't want it.

Back to mess—wieners, beans, bread, fresh onions, cherry pie, coffee.

Went to the Post Exchange (P.X.) and got some cards. Received clean linen for beds. Black out signal.

WAAC and Army Regulations were read to us by an officer just outside the tent—on blankets—in the sun.

The chaplain gave an inspiring talk to the girls. One actually cried. I got a copy of the poems he gave.

We 9 who got lost (outcasts) on the last battalion were lucky in not drawing any duties—so far.

“Dot” was not present during our drill so I gave her the low down, washed-up, wrote some cards, and crawled into bed—weary.

[March 27, 1943]

We had breakfast at set out for the clothing center. Received dress hat #21, fatigue hat, 2 ties, 3 shirts #34, 2 skirts (W.27), 3 cotton stockings #10, 1 rayon hose #10, 2 sox, 2 service shoe 7 1/2 AA, tennis shoes, 2 duffle bags, 3 large bath towels.

Rain! Shine! Rain! Shine!

Back to our tents, packed. Rained steadily. The trailer bus took us to the Cantonment Area - barracks. I'll never forget the bedraggled crew that filed out that bus. Running across a board, over the sand to a bar empty cold barracks. I was with Stella and “Dot.” We lined up from high to low in a single line, while it still drizzled. I landed in squad 3 of the Second platoon Co. 11 Reg. 6 Bn. 2 Barracks 163C

The company commander was Sharrow; but she was in the hospital with the measles. The executive officer took over her job (Lieut. Mulynax) - (Myrna Loy) Lieut. Franko was our platoon com. and Lieut. Foster the 3rd plat. Com. and supply officer. We were confined to the Area for a week. We started out for mess in formation; then it rained—we ran—no soap—it just wouldn't let up. We were soaked when we got to mess hall 5 a walk of about 10 minutes. What a hectic day—No one looked happy. Miserable—Friendless—Weary—Alone.

Mess—chowder, potato, beans, beets, bread. Mess kits in two parts, wobbly.

When we got back Mulynax gave a talk. Our Sgt. Eckert. 1st - Dodgen - 3rd Hanover.

Unpacked a little. Made bed 86. Yetta Gottlieb in corner Betty Jane Baer my left.

Mess—beef, beets, potato, salad, bread, roll, jello, coffee.

Shower—shampoo—pressed uniform. Played Chinese checkers with Mickey and Dot to cheer Mickey because she was so blue. Wrote card to "Ted." Bed 9:35.

[March 28, 1943]

On this beautiful Sunday morning I got up at 7:00. I slept like a log last night. Good old Morpheus was with me. Made my bed before going for mess—cold cereal, grapefruit, bacon, egg, toast, coffee. (I always took my box of cereal out with me and ate it in the evening. The gang laughed at this; but when evening came and they got hungry they dug into my flakes, too. Just visited around until Mickey and I decided to go to hear the chaplain in the barracks where the services here are held. The sermon was good—“God is Love.” I told him it was a lesson I wouldn't forget soon and shook hands with him at the door when leaving. I went over to the first barracks and took some notes from the bulletin board.

Mess—ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, beets, coke, ice cream, jellied salad, coffee (bah!). Swell meal. Fall out for drill!

Our drill on the field lasted from 1:40 to 4:40.

Mess: cheese, salomi, bread, corn, lettuce, milk, orange.

More drill by Sgt. Eckert, who is a drip as far as drill is concerned—slow—uncertain—no snap. Fire drill. One girl remained in the building; but was reported present by the squad leader—She got bawled out. So far—no “gigs.” I pressed another shirt and skirt and took a shower—no privacy. Too sleepy to write any cards; besides I haven't any stamps.

Goodnight everybody.

There is a red light at each end of the barracks that is left on all night. The one in front of my bed doesn't bother me, too sleepy to care. But darn those gabby girls at the other end.

[March 29, 1943]

“6:00” Charge of Quarters announced. After reveille and mess all the companies were convoyed into one of the theaters to hear Major Darrow speak. He didn't say much. Most of his talk was about saluting and the conduct of the WAAC. We had some drill before mess. Classes after mess, until 4:30. Retreat at 5:00 (parade) Mess. Got indigestion—bad case. Washed some clothes, pressed a skirt, took a shower. Bed.

Most of my money goes for cards, stamps, cokes, and candy (not so much the last two). Kleenex, lux, etc.

[March 30, 1943]

Same schedule—6:00—Reveille 6:15. Breakfast 6:35. Clean up, make bed, etc. Classes begin at 8:00 Drill Mess—Mail call 12:30. Classes—1:00. Pys. Tr. 3:30. Retreat 5:00. Mess 5:50. Mail call—wrote some cards, turned in mosquito netting—Negroes take in laundry from barracks. Some take more than others. The officers said the prices should be 15¢ shirt, 20¢ skirt. Filled in a form for bonds, “dog” tags, record sheets.

Shower—letter—straightened out notes—Bed.

I've been eating like a horse. Signs all around about wasting food. Take it and eat it. The food really is good.

[March 31, 1943]

No change—Same routine!

Up at 5:50, dressed in bed since you're not allowed up until 6:00. Cleaned up! Bed! Reveille! Mess! Classes! Educational movies! Parade! Retreat! Mess! Ironed! Shower! Wrote more cards! Jokes! Such conversations! Bed 9:15. How do the girls that “go out” do it?

[April 1, 1943]

Beds aired—got one clean sheet and a pillow case. Swept and washed the floor—rag and G.I. can. Lined shoes. Got a “gig” for having the hangers turned the wrong way. Reveille—Mess—Classes. Franko's good for drill. Eckert shouldn't be cadre. Got 2 more inoculations today. After mess was issued another skirt and my blouse (jacket) which had been at “Alterations.” Did my laundry. I had a slight sore throat; so I borrowed “Dot” Hamilton's Listerine and gargled. “Mickey” supplied some cough drops, until I could get some. Slight cough—hoarse. Cold showers, cold mornings, etc. did it. P.T. sweating, cold breeze.

[April 2, 1943]

Friday, April 2, 1943

Practiced for a parade. Ironed. “Mickey” fainted on the parade ground. No wonder—K.P., “shot” effects, and standing at attention too long in the hot sun. She's a frail kid, too. Clean-up night and what did I do? I let the others do the work while I, with Lydia's iron pressed a clean uniform for our Saturday morning inspection. “Gold bricking” they call it here (getting away with all you can). On my part, it wasn't intentional. I washed my face and crawled into bed exhausted—9:15.

[April 3, 1943]

Saturday, April 3, 1943

Damn that Yetta! Just because she's getting up (K.P.) she has to awaken everybody else with her heavy footsteps. Lay in bed, dozing, until 6:00. Made Yetta's bed and mine, washed the front and back door windows. We wasted more than an hour waiting for the officials to get here. The battalion commander, company commander, executive officer, supply officer, and my platoon officer, and first sergeant toured the barracks. The b. com. actually got behind Yetta's bed and tried to find dust on our shelves. I fooled her. I managed to dust them before she came. Parade—10:30. Mess. Foot inspection. Classes. Mail call. Wrote some cards. Mess. Went to visit “Mickey” from 6:30 to 8:00 at the hospital. Delivered her mail to her. Stella, Peg, and Lydia joined me there. The hospital is stucco, of the mosque type (note postal card) for army personnel only. Started my report on Russia while visiting Mickey. Returned. Washed, and wrote a few cards. Borrowed Yetta's 666 salve and 2 aspirins. Slept like a log. The girls that went to the U.S.O. dance came in about 12:30, rather noisily. Some had fun; some didn't. Some got future dates; others didn't. Most of the WAAC's aren't very well thought of; so the goody

Sunday, April 4, 1943

[April 4, 1943]

Woke up with a coughing spell, so I decided to spend the day in bed. Yetta brought me a grapefruit and a bacon sandwich for my breakfast. Stayed in bed till 12:00. Dressed for dinner. Wrote letters and cards and worked again on my report on Russia. Washed and ironed a few clothes. Read the newspaper. Bed early, as usual.

girls didn't get the dates. Wolves around here mostly—not only snakes.

[April 5, 1943]

Monday, April 5, 1943

K.P. tomorrow, so bulletin reads. Routine.

[April 6, 1943]

Tuesday, April 6, 1943

Classes. Excused for K.P. 10:40. Worked till almost 8:30. Washed trays by hand and ran the washing machine all day. Shower. Bed.

[April 7, 1943]

Wednesday, April 7, 1943

Awakened at 4:45. On K.P. 'till 10:30. Did the same thing I did yesterday. “Mickey” came back from the hospital. She was there since Friday. We see some service films every now and then. “Mickey” fell out for retreat—to take it easy.

[April 8, 1943]

Thursday, April 8, 1943

A very hot day for drill. Another “shot.” Felt faint at formal retreat; but didn't pass out. There were close to 20 who did. My arm is sore. Wrote a few cards, washed, and went to bed.

[April 9, 1943]

Friday, April 9, 1943

Fire fighting demonstration—sulphuric acid (best for electrical fires), carbon tetrachloride, etc. Cleaning night—washed the window and our shelves. Pressed an outfit. Shower. Bed.

[April 10, 1943]

Saturday, April 10, 1943

Inspection of barracks. Poor Betty! She was scared stiff when she couldn't answer the commander's question. Personal inspection by Lt. Sharrow—on the drill field—About 40 had hair on their collars. I excused myself from P.T. to see Sharrow but didn't see her anyway. Franko “bawled me out” when I didn't stand at attention when she spoke to me. Got 6 letters today. Joe's made me feel good. Washed and went to town with Stella and “Mickey.” Spent a few cents. “Mickey” treated us to a beer and potato chips. She also gave me her $1.25 garter belt which she said she couldn't wear. I fixed it to fit me. “Mick” was disappointed because we didn't go to the show. We walked to and from town. The buses were crowded. We got back tired—chatted a while and went to bed. “Mickey” resembles Frances Trutwin (face only) and Stella, Charlie McCarthy. Bed 11:00.

[April 11, 1943]

Sunday, April 11, 1943

Up at 7:20. Had breakfast with Stella. Made my bed. Cleaned up under it. Polished my shoes. Wrote 12 cards. Washed some clothes. Franko interviewed all the girls. Got into my bathing suit and took a sun bath in the court. Wrote three letters out there, forgetting all about the sun. Got a slight burn. Ironed. Shower. I did want to study—but Nance (Violet) had to run on. Bed!

[April 12, 1943]

Monday, April 12, 1943

A test—general—most of it was guess work by everyone. Sharrow interviewed the girls that wanted cadre work. She's a swell lieutenant—white! Franko gave em a dirty look for doodling in class. I merely stared back. Yetta fed us. She got a box from home. P.X. with “Mickey.” Antoniolli still think she's “it.” She applied for O.C., but didn't pass the first board. How any will make it? I shall apply later. Shower. Wrote some cards and letters and listened to some WAAC jokes, poems, songs, etc. Bed.

[April 13, 1943]

Tuesday, April 13, 1943

A terrible wind storm came along while we were on the P.T. field. Oh the sand! We had First Aid out there, too, artificial resp. Gen. Faith spoke to us in Mess. Again he stressed the proper conduct for a WAAC. On our way to lunch it rained like fury. We were drenched when we reached the mess hall. Retreat. Am squad leader for the next couple days—report absentees in your squad, etc. Was issued my gas mask. Washed some things. Shower. Wrote some cards. Bed.

[April 14, 1943]

Wednesday, April 14, 1943

Imagine paying 25¢ to town (2 ½ mi.) in taxi. Eight of us each paid that. Highway robbery! Yetta and Frances stayed in town and I walked back alone. Yetta had to wait for her shoes to be repaired. I kept an old “granny” company on my way back.

[April 15, 1943]

Tuesday, April 15, 1943

Classes. Drill. Lt. Foster asked me to demonstrate the shoulder raising from the ground for the P.T. class. Retreat. Signed company pictures and books. Wrote a few cards. Bed. Had a combination “First Aid, Personal Hygiene, Map Reading” test in the morning. We had a gas mask drill on the march, went through a tent of chloracetophenome (tear) gas. Not much affect, just took a “wee” whiff without the mask. “Mickey” had her glasses on the ground, someone stepped on them and broke them. Poor “Mickey”; everything happens to her.

[April 16, 1943]

Thursday, April 15, 1943

The “shot” affected me more than the others. My arm was stiff, sore, and swollen. (It wore off Friday night). Got a group picture, good! Signed the pay roll.

[April 15, 1943]

Back to Thursday, April 15, 1943

Four girls were left in the barracks—sick. Both stoves were started. Aux. (“General”) Robinson's our first aid instructor. Miss Newell, our problem-solver gave us a talk on traditions and problems. She's gray-haired, petite, feminine, sweet! Wears “specs.” Collected fire wood. Franko visited with the girls. Hot water bottles, irons, cold wash cloths, aspirins. Headaches! Some of my doodling looks like this. (P.T.)

[drawings of people exercising]

That woman (assistant to doctor) is a rough old b____. Mess 5. We are now eating from new, shiny trays instead of the clumsy rattling old field kits.

[April 16, 1943]

Friday, April 16, 1943

Our company won the blue ribbon at the parade as the best-drilled. We keep the ribbon on our company flag pole for a week. Honor! Cleaning night.

Friday, April 16, 1943

Our company won the blue ribbon at the parade as the best-drilled. We keep the ribbon on our company flag pole for a week. Honor! Cleaning night.

[April 17, 1943]

Formal inspection. The shoes on my bed had some tar on the soles I forgot to scrape off. Got a “gig.” The C.O. also told me to get my hair trimmed. (I haven't yet. May 18, 1943). Foot inspection. Training film. Washed clothes. Packed a box for home. Shower. About 6 were left in the barracks so we had our own little party with Yetta's box—jam, matzos, candy, rye bread, cheese, pretzels, fruitcake. My box wasn't quite so elaborate but good. Why get one when you have to feed the other girls too. Nothing, then, is let for you. Latrine rumors! Shirley Richardson! (hospital) (tantrum) Bed 9:30.

[April 18, 1943]

April 18, 1943, Sunday

Up at 6:30—entirely too early for Sunday. Went to breakfast. My back pealed; but it's tan. My heels have cleared. Now I have a sand irritation. Wrote letters and cards. Reported for guard duty at 4:00 P.M. Learned the 10 orders of an interior guard on my beat from 6 to 8 alone on post 4 near the P.X. Rained but not hard; but hard enough to soak my coat. 8:00 Barracks to change wet clothing. Tried to sleep from 9 to 11:30 but who can, with all the guards moving around the barracks—some chatting, some getting up to go on duty, others coming in off duty, etc. Up again at 11:30. On duty with Dorothy Kintz from 12:00 to 2 A.M. Kept each other awake when it drizzled. Then the downpour itself kept us up. What a deluge! It really poured. Thank the Lord someone loaned me her raincoat. Shoes full of water (squish, squash) Stockings and skirt wet almost to hips. Shirt sleeves soaked. Water dripping into pockets had to be emptied. Relieved a little before 2, change of clothing. Truck picks up and leaves guards at their posts. Equipped with a club, arm band, and whistle. Slept from 2 'till 5:30. Breakfast (gave it back—upset). On duty again with Kintz from 6 to 8 P.M. You sleep with your clothes on, on this job. When I did come in at 2 I had to sleep on the floor a while near the stove—the beds were full.

[April 19, 1943]

April 19, 1943—Monday

Still on duty—after 8:00. Re-copied some notes. Slept after mess with “Ferg.” Changing of the guard on the field at 4:00. Mess. Mail Call! Dressed for a trip to the Coquina Hotel to take the Motor Transport Tests on Vision, Side Vision, Depth, Stability, Reaction, and Glare. Back late (after ten). “Susie” visited me just before we left the Coquina and the truck ride was bouncy. Bed immediately after getting back. Slept on top of the bed for a change.

[April 19-29, 1943]

Cantonment Area

Back of our barracks—sand for 50 ft. One tall beautiful palm—scrub brush. Front—sand to tar road, distance of 15 ft. The girls planted some ferns and cacti. Improvement! March of 10 min. to the mess. Colored men and whites all around us during the day—building more barracks, mess halls, recreation halls, etc. Oh these latrines! No one wants to clean them!

Hats fly in all directions on windy days. Hats lost, strayed, stolen! Not marked! Night sounds—airplanes, whip-poor-wills, snores, groans, whispers, coughs, crickets. Mail call is always looked forward to.

Did you hear about the moron who took a ladder to a party because he heard the drinks were on the house?

3/4 of the girls smoke

1/2 or more drink

[April 29, 1943]

Thursday, April 29, 1943

G.I. movies on tires all morning. Motor driving from 2:30 to 4:30. Parade on golf course—not so hot. Gig for shoes not being right. Had some of Buff's box. Landon visited here. Lecture at 7:00 on current events. Walk with [?]. Bumped Antionoli's cake accidentally. What a look I got. Played piano a short while. Watched fellow dancing with one of the girls. Felt really low for the first time since I've been here. Bathe, bed. What is this Poland and Russia are quibbling about? Tomorrow fire guard 7 to 10.

[April 30, 1943]


Nothing exciting happened. Spent all afternoon at the garage with a two-and-a-half blocked[?]. Each of our group practiced shifting gears. Cpl. Stout is swell, husky voice, well built, long hair, straight, brushed back from forehead. No mail!

6:00 fire guard made my tour every half hour. Area #1 consisted of the patio, boiler room, cellar rooms, first floor rooms, first and second cellars, all first floor rooms. Smelly, dark—11 ext. 4 [?]—I counted. Johnson went around with me a number of times. Had fun doing it, took a call for “Cookie,” 2 nice boys were “ditched” by her and Stafford. Played the piano for one of them. Went to iron a shirt and skirt with Johnson. Bed 11:00.

[May 1, 1943]

Saturday - letter from Guy, “We” and a card from Esther in the evening mail. Watched a battalion of soldiers marching and drilling in review on the beach—quite a spectacle. Instead of 4 classes we had only a review of our Motor Vehicle test. I missed about 10 out of 50. I'm not doing any hard studying. All afternoon we drove the trucks, etc. around. Got a chance at a 1 1/2 and a carry all. Fun—oh those gears and double clutching; but I feel I'll make the grade. Mess. Laundry. Ironed a shirt. Washed my hair. Took a bath and am ready for bed. Found out Logan had a Polish boyfriend Barnonski. A fellow who once had an orchestra of his own played the piano. Swell player. One of the girls asked me if I wanted a date. Now 9:00 and me ready for bed. Ann got her radio. Heard some good music. I had to throw out the [unclear]. Ate 2 eggs and gave two away. Same with the cakes—too many. I can't eat them all myself. Hate for them to get stale. It sounds like it's going to rain.

[May 2, 1943]

Sunday—didn't go to breakfast—got up a little before 8:00. Wrote letters and cards all morning. Mess. Went to the band stand beach 35¢. Bus 40¢ on the peninsula. Swell wave riding with Peg. Anne sat under the umbrella and watched our valuables. I never came so near drowning (in shallow water too). Wave threw me over and I struck the bottom with the back of my head—a terrible blow. It almost knocked me out. Peg was thrown twice. Missed a bus at 8:15. Had to wait till 9:15. A couple of dudes tried to pick us up; but since I was ahead of them and they dropped us. Clowned around nibbled on Peg's stuff pretzels popcorn candy. Bed.

[May 3, 1943]

Monday—didn't sleep well. Drove a command car and a jeep. Classes in the afternoon. Had lunch at the Coquina.

Was issued a size 18 fatigue dress imagine. Ironed shirt. Bed. Chatted till 11:00. The girls keep it up so I have to. Most of my box of candy was looted by God only knows.

[May 4, 1943]

Tuesday—was graded by Sgt. Stout in truck. Drove the jeep awhile. classes, watched convoy drill on beach. Mess. Mail from Ted [unclear], John K., [Amy L.?]

Cleaned out my junk. Wrote a few cards back. Bed. Sent Mom a [unclear]

[May 5, 1943]


Had inspections of trucks all morning. Drill on the beach. Had a few minutes in the pool before P.T. Mess. Mail call 4 letters. Wrote a few cards and started a letter to “Sky.” Have to go on fire guard duty again from 2 A.M. to 6 A.M. Ann visited and talked and talked. Slept from 9 to 12:30 A.M. and talked. She brushed my hair so long she made me sleepy.

[May 6, 1943]

Thursday—fire guard wasn't so bad. I sat a while after each tour of inspection. [Drove?] all morning—inspections of vehicles all afternoon. Parade on the beach [unclear]. I drilled the platoon on the beach for a short time. Went to the post theater with Kucharski. Saw Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan in Edge of Darkness. Back 10:45. Had a coke and the pie I brought back from mess. The girls believed I had been out drinking. I pretended I had. Bed.

[May 10, 1943]

Monday May [10], 1943

Up at 4:30 for K.P. At the washer all day. Couple hours off in the afternoon. Back at 7:15. Ironed a shirt. Bathed. Bed 9:30. Black & blue hip from carry full wooden trays

[May 11, 1943]

Tuesday May [11]

Same routine. Parallel parked and convoy parked this morning. Classes and drill P.M. cards and letters. Pay 6:30, $20.00 issue of [clothing?] shirts. Changed my 18 fatigue dress with udit[?] (16) Washed. Wrote Reg. Beautiful azaleas, oleanders, orange-grapefruit groves

[May 12, 1943]

Wednesday, May [12]

Different driving range—not bad (with Small) Tr. Film garage class on tires & batteries. No P.T. thank goodness. Wrote a few cards. Mess. Mail call. Letter & card. wrote letter Bath bed. Haven't been feeling well lately, too hot. Last shot. Bed 8:30. Headache. Didn't mean that.

[May 13, 1943]

Thursday, May 13, 1943

Garage duty was discontinued but my name is up for fire guard again—for tomorrow night 10 P.M. to 2 A.M. This is our last day for Driver Training. Lt. Williams was very nice about our not having P.T. She said it was entirely too hot for it. A current events class is scheduled for 7:15. A naval officer came in and lectured—nice looking but a poor speaker. I had planned to go to a movie but 7:45 was too late. Instead Ann Johnson brushed my hair; and I went to bed.

[May 14, 1943]

Friday, May 14, 1943

“Motor pool operations” started today—cleaning vehicles, repairing roads, washing rags, etc. I played at “repairing roads” all morning and sweeping vehicles in the afternoon. Saw another training film. Have been eating entirely too much candy and drinking too many cokes. Jibber in Polish to Kucharski; but she can't answer me (New Jersey) clean linen. Mail. Swell food! Made bed. Washed bathroom. Bath. Studied a little. Rested a half hour. On fire guard duty at 10:00.

[May 15, 1943]

Saturday, May 15, 1943

Took it easy on fire guard—chatted with Roote—lay on my bed for 15 minutes after each “round.” Awakened Layton at 2 A.M. and went to bed. Up at 5:05—bugle instead of the usual whistle this morning. Reviewed my notes while we waiting for inspections to begin. Whistle at 8:30 for personal inspection. The Lt. told me to put back my elbows. I never did because I think it's too “unnatural-looking.” That's the army! No room inspection in our presence. Trucks were late in arriving, because something happened to the bridge. Arrived at Coquina late. Had only one class—a test. Mess. Reported for Motor Pool Operations only to be told we would have the afternoon 'till 4:00 off providing we stayed in the garage area. Permitted to go swimming (ocean) at 2:00 till 4:00. Kucharski and I had quite a talk together. Got burned pretty badly. Back at Riviera. Got out off my wet suit and relaxed 'till time for mess—no retreat on Sat.—After mess (no mail!) washed my hair and took a bath—collected my laundry for tomorrow. Cleaned up my junk. I think I did pretty well on the internal combustion test. Visited downstairs a while. Bed.

[May 16, 1943]

Sunday, May 16, 1943

Up at 7:00. Breakfast 7:30. Sunday meals are not compulsory. Did my laundry. Wrote Willie and Mr. Druzisky a letter. Cleaned house. Mess. Package. Jeep cover-alls very nice—cookies and kit, too. Kucharski, Logan, and Shelmandine and I took a few pictures. Mess 4:00 Bandshell for 7:00 service. WAACs as far as the eye could see. Home 9:00. Fixed the coveralls. Bed 10:00

[May 17, 1943]

Monday, May 17, 1943

Classes as usual—“Tightening and Adjusting,” “Map Reading,” “Internal Combustion.” Drill. A long letter from “Joe,” and pictures. Hurried from mess to get the 6:30 bus. Mailed a package, bought the “little ones” bibs. The Jew[?] wanted a quarter for each one. I gave him a dollar for 6. He wanted me to stay and auction for him—with my gift of gab. Bought soap for souvenirs and a few cards. Took my play shoes to be repaired—for cleats, soles, inner sole and lining. $3.00 Imagine! He saved my bag for nothing. Bus 20¢ one way. Show 25¢ to a WAAC. Saw The Moon is Down. Missed about 10 minutes of it; I wanted to make the 10:15 bus in time for bed check. The girl from the 17th Co. is still AWOL. (5 days) (I miss her piano playing.) The bridge to the peninsula broke down and the long ride around is beautiful. The sun has bleached the back of my head so much the boys are now called me “Whitie.”

[May 18, 1943]

Tuesday, May 18, 1943

Have been wearing my over-alls since I got them. There's already a nice big grease spot on the seat. Everybody likes them and asks me where I bought them. I like them too, and am glad no one else has a pair like them. Got my second G.I. service shoes re-heeled (rubber). We got a chance to go in the ocean again today. I do want to get a nice tan. All morning I was on the “road gang” and “tightening and adjusting crew.” Every time I'm near a vehicle I learn something new about it. No drill—it rained. Watched it rain then had P.T. under the Coquina shelter. What a farce! Roundabout way home—broken down bridges—took us more than an hour to get home (17th co. wow dirty mouthed—some truck—rumors about the major). Mess 7:15—short meeting with Sgt. Gray—freckle-faced red-head. Gigs galore—but not for me hip! Hip! Signed the pay role. Washed. Bed!

[May 19, 1943]

Wednesday, May 19, 1943

Map reading all morning. It's interesting. I like it. The “inevitable” happened last night. I don't feel so “perky” today. P.M.—M.P. Opr. Broom brigade—swept, dusted, mopped the “Gob-Gob” Bldg. Loafed. Am reading The Man from Scotland Yard. Very good. At mess learned we were moving. I can read in my spare time easier than write a letter. Mail call—4 letters! Rushed around, packed, cleaned. Two full barracks bags and a suitcase—carried to the 4th floor of the Clarendon Hotel, closer to the Coquina-on the peninsula—closer to town. Washed. Jibbered. Bed.

[May 20, 1943]

Thursday, May 20, 1943

The view from the 4th (5th really) floor—sun-rising—beach—band shell—beautiful! That test on Echelons was a dilly—the one I knew the least on so far! The girls loaded and unloaded trucks—empty barrels, boxes, and sacks, of course. The air corps boys invited us to a dinner. We ate in a drizzle of rain on the ball field and ate in the bleachers. Nabbed a boy, Glenn (a farmer) schoolboy (teacher to be) from Missouri. Slow moving, slow speaking, etc. Another Polak came along—short, looks like a Kuckoski—from Baltimore. Name—Stanley Pietrowski. The boys had a good dinner for us. Hust and her boyfriend and I and mine decided to go to the show, but the others had seen them and an M.P. called the boys down for not having ties, so we didn't go. Glenn and I watched the ball game instead. Back at the hotel I finished my book and went to bed. 10:00

[May 21, 1943]

Friday, May 21, 1943

The whole morning was spent on “The Principles of Convoy.” After noon mess it began to drizzle, then rain. We were called out for parade practice just before that. We marched from the Clarendon to the pier and practiced the Motor Transport parade twice—in the rain. You never saw such bedraggled looking creatures—hats with rain dripping down their notes, shirts completely saturated—skirts spotted—hose the same, shoes wet and sandy. What a sorry sight. Back to the hotel and changed. Pressed. Mess. Dressed. Bus to town 10¢ (Seabreeze) Movie Three Hearts for Julia—good comedy! Mail call—3 letters! Back—coke at the drug store. Imagine a girl M.P. telling me to “straighten” my hat, when officers whom I have to salute never mention it. Bah! And so to bed.

[May 22, 1943]

Saturday, May 22, 1943

Was last in the B.R. for a change. Last night, before mess we were issued raincoat, boots, pocket-book, gloves, 4 dress shields, and another U.S. pin. It's a perfect day for a parade. The sun is in its glory. Instead of any inspection we're practicing for the parade again from 7:30 to 9:00. Classes till 11:00. Mess. Relaxed till 1:00. Dressed for the parade. Lined up at 2:15. Parade at 3:00. I didn't take any salt tablets, and it was very hot. Naturally I perspired and grew weak, but I carried on! Success! Took some tablets when we got back. Started a letter to “Joe.” After mess—town—rain—got my pictures. Back to the hotel—finished my letter to “Joe.” Washed. Bed. Layton kept talking 'til 11:00 then we “turned in.”

[May 23, 1943]

Sunday, May 23, 1943

Up at 7:00. Breakfast at 8. Washed some clothes in the tub. Was called with some others to clean the lobby (swept). Mess. Beach 'til 3:00. Wrote a letter to “Ted.” Washed my hair and took a bath. Wrote a few cards. Mess. Scribbled a letter to “Reg.” Josephine went to the show and I stayed in to study—didn't—visited instead and went to bed early.

[May 24, 1943]

Monday, May 24, 1943

That “Map Reading” test was a humdinger—didn't finish 3 or 4. Moved from room 424 (5th floor) to room 435 (3 of us—Shelmandine, Kucharski, and I) Swell. Nice little room with bath). Convoy all afternoon 1 to 4. Drove a ton-and-a-half back—did very well I thought—can shift better now. Mess. Bought a roll of films. Got a lift to town in a “pick-up.” Went to the P.O. with “Kuch.” Bill Sokol must work at a branch. I'm going to find out. Cashed a money order I got. Shoemaker $2.75 for repairing play shoes—very nice job. Sole, inner sole, lining, cleats and shine and sewed my black bag. A lieutenant (WAAC) paid her bill of $2.40. I called the shoemaker's attention to the correct amount which should have been $3.40. I called her back for him, and he explained that he just realized his mistake. He thanked me etc. and of course he said he was giving me a bargain etc. ($2.75 Bargain!) cleaned up the messed up room a little laundry. Took a bath. Bed.

[May 25, 1943]

Tuesday, May 25, 1943

Didn't sleep any too well on the innerspring mattress. Overalls for “trouble-shooting” all morning—traced the gasoline line. Mess. Convoy driving from 1 to 4. Didn't do so well in the “pick-up” but O.K. in the jeep. No P.T. A few cards. Mess. Laundry shirt and skirt (negro laundress) 40¢. Walked to Main St. with “Joe” and “Plum.” Window shopped. Met Osborne and Butler. Went to the Hollywood. Had a wine—the first since I left home. Looked for souvenirs, but I still hang on to my money. Everything is too high. Walked back. Stopped at the drug store for a glass of milk. Am losing weight—too active. Signed in—made an appointment to see Lt. Williams. Washed and went to bed. Plum visited and kept us up late.

[May 26, 1943]

Wednesday, May 26, 1943

Safford, fire-guard, woke me at 4:30 A.M. for K.P. at 5:00. Started on pots and pans and worked on them 'til supper time. Had a few short “breaks.” Major Bryant and Lt. Query got a kick out of my name when Lt. Williams “sneezed” it. Grinned! Another physical—regularity—“crabs”—throat. In the evening worked in the dining room. Finished at 7:30. Bathed. Mary brought in a kitten to play with.

Saw Lt. Williams during a “break.” She advised me to go into the field or cadre work. I'd stand a better chance for O.C. with more experience; and they have too many in O.C. now. She will write a letter to “classifications” getting me cadre—maybe. She also gave me an application to fill in which I will do in the near future—before she leaves for Calif. which will be Sunday. Bed 9:00.

[May 27, 1943]

Thursday, May 27, 1943

Drove a truck with Buff. I really like it. Visited with Buff after mess, then decided to go to the farewell party for Lt. Williams (50¢). Played (banged) the piano while the girls sang. Drank 2 cokes, ate some pretzels, a half of a sandwich (jelly) and a bag of peanuts. Before I left gave a toast. Silly little program given by the audience at random. Williams is leaving for California on Sunday. They served beer and cigarettes. Too bad I don't drink much or smoke; but I enjoyed myself anyhow. Bed 10:00 that night. Couldn't fall asleep.

[May 28, 1943]

Friday, May 28, 1943

Sick call girls—change of climate, mostly for not menst. Cleaned room. Had a short drill period. Convoy all afternoon. Jeep—Parsons, Buff, and Lillicotch. Never had so much fun listening to them “bitching.” Gosh! Filled my O.C. application and turned it in. Dressed for retreat—no retreat. Laundry 40¢ again—shirt and skirt! After mess went to the Post Theater to see This Land is Mine. George Sanders was wasted and I didn't care much for the story. Was in a good mood all the way back. Sang all the Polish songs I could remember. Danced up the five flights of stairs and back down again to get Buff and myself a coke. Danced a waltz with her in the hall. And so to bed.

[May 29, 1943]

Saturday, May 29, 1943

Black Out Driving classes this A.M. Motor Pool Operations all afternoon. What happened when we got to the garage? Major Bryant was there and gave us a half day holiday. “Joe” and I went out on the beach for a while. Two of our cooks almost drowned. One is in the hospital. Took a bath and dressed. Wrote a letter and card. Mess. Went out with Buff and Russell—beer joint to beer joint—had a wine and 3 or 4 gin and coke drinks. Back alone. 10:30 bed.

[May 30, 1943]

Sunday, May 30, 1943

Up a little before 8:00...too late for breakfast. Did my laundry in the bath tub, in my bathing suit. Stretched a line in the room and hung up the clothes. Made my bed. Wrote a few letters. Dressed for mess—delicious! Got into my bathing suit and went out to the beach. Stayed until 2:15. Went in and wrote a few more letters. Dressed and was late for mess—but got in. Went to see My Friend, Flicka. I enjoyed every minute of it. Had a milkshake and chips. Played the piano a while. Washed up. Freeman and Juricha visited. Bed 9:45.

[May 31, 1943]

Monday, May 31, 1943

Hospital to have our blood typed—jab in the finger—A—Convoy—Jeep only. Played the organ. Night driving with Logan—terrific eye strain—fared all right. Stopped at dive in Karona for “break”—had a lemonade. Back at the hotel at 1:30. Washed up at “hit the hay.”

[June 1, 1943]

Tuesday, June 1, 1943

Couldn't open my eyes. Dressed for reveille—outside (damn it!) Mess. Aired beds—clean linen. Took a nap till time for drill. 7:30. I didn't help clean the room. Convoy (didn't drive) again at 9:30. There are some beautiful homes along the coast—beautiful—so picturesque and a good many have the Spanish motif. Mess and convoy again—only instead of driving a distance we drove on the beach in parade formations (drove C and R). The major is always on hand. Swimming for about a half hour. Bath. Mess. Bawling out by the C.O. for poorly kept quarters—restricted for tonight. Was issued a #28 girdle. Washed down the b.r. Made my bed—polished my shoes—mended a pair of hose—took a few pictures—cleaned my drawers—organ again—washed up bed early.

[June 2, 1943]

Wednesday, June 2, 1943

Reveille on the ramp again. Mess. Convoy to Titusville (60 mi.) Drove C&R. started out at 8:30—returned at 3:45. Mess. Movie—The Amazing Mrs. Holliday, enjoyed every bit of it. Mail call—got 3 letters. Went to town for nothing, the shoe-shop was closed. Had a banana split—ice instead of ice-cream—terrible! Returned at 10:05. Bed at 10:30. Damn these mosquitoes! Tossed—too hot—never perspired so much in my life—always seem to be wet.

[June 3, 1943]

Thursday, June 3, 1943

Short period of drill on the beach. “Joe” and I hemmed up two of my skirts but the negress will sew them on her machine (if she has one). We stayed in our rooms all morning. V letter from “Sky.” One hour of Motor Pool after mess—“played at” washing a truck. P.T. and swimming (didn't go into the water—sun bath

Shower—dressed—retreat—mess. Gave my skirts to the colored woman. Black out driving. Plum and I chauffeured the convoy commander (Lt.) Fun—at one time I went 60 to get to the head of the convoy. It was rotten. Bed 1:45.

[June 4, 1943]

Friday, June 4, 1943

Convoy all morning (Lt. Cox—the chain smoker) Mess—Reviewed a test—took another and reviewed it. Mess. Town. 2 sailors tried to pick me up—no dice. Bus. Ride back on a G.I. truck. Stopped for a rum and coke at the New Yorker. Walked back. Packed a few things. Laundered a few things. Shower. Bed.

[June 5, 1943]

Saturday, June 5, 1943

Packed. Lounged around 'til personal inspection 9:30 (in Buff's room). Graduation in the ballroom at 10:15 A.M. Lt. Query had a very nice talk. Major Bryant read us a funny letter. Lt. Wilson handed out our permits. The only remark made during the procedure was when Lt. Query spoke to me. She said “She didn't say that name right, did she?” I answered with the usual, “No ma'am, she didn't.” (pay day!) (remarked too!) Moved—first to Tent City—no room there so we were sent to the Cantonment Area—5th Co. 5th Reg. 1st Bn. Lt. Holmaun[?]—new C.O. Damn it—motor pool! T48—new barracks—made bed, unpacked, mosquito netting. Those mosquitoes certainly bit us up on our convoy nights. Slept some before mess. After mess walked to town with “Joe.” Shopped a little. Went to see Flight for Freedom—good! On way back stopped to have a coke and crackers. Walked back. Couple of “dirty” sailors tried to “pick us up.” Got in just in time 11:40. Bed check is 12:00. Bed.

[June 6, 1943]

Sunday, June 6, 1943

Up for breakfast. Laundry. Washed my hair. Wrote some letters. Mess. Took a nap. Bus to town with “Joe.” We didn't give any of the boys a break because they talk “fresh.” Had a sandwich and a glass of milk; then went to see Keeper of the Flame. Good! Sat on a bench in the park for a while; then walked home. Back at 9:30. Bed.

[June 7, 1943]

Monday, June 7, 1943

Up at 5:15. Cleaned barracks. Truck to motor pool. Toured the important places and back to pool. Was assigned a Plymouth sedan for chaplain duties. Waited and drove, waited and drove for Major McKee and Lt. Casey, from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Lectured by the Motor Pool lieutenant. Back to barracks 6:45. Ate all day at the Ridgewood. Did some laundry. Wrote some letters—took a shower and so to bed.

[June 8, 1943]

Tuesday, June 8, 1943

Was again assigned to chaplain duties. Better than driving a truck or doing clerical work. Mess at noon—mess at night were hurried—worked 'til 5:30. Movie with “Joe”—They Came to Blow Up America. Not bad. Felt swell all the way back. For the first time I heard the bugle at 11:00.

[June 9, 1943]

Wednesday, June 9, 1943

For the first time heard the bugle this morning. Picked up two of the chaplains at their homes. On chaplain duty again! Quit at 5:30. Late mess—lousy—shower. Bed very early.

[June 10, 1943]

Thursday, June 10, 1943

Chaplain duty—quit 5:30. Kids raze me about my ministers. Quit at 5:30. Shower. Read a story. Visited with Serre and Lewis. Bed early (I just can't help it)

[June 11, 1943]

Friday, June 11, 1943

Chaplain duty. Stomach trouble. Bed early again.

[June 12, 1943]

Saturday, June 12, 1943

Chaplain duty. Boy, is Lt. Biebar a honey! But—he's married. My chaplains are nice too! Worked until 3:40. Father Casey signed me out. Had a punk supper. Have been writing letters when I can. barracks—tired—lay down for an hour or so. P.X. Shower. Serre shampooed my hair. I cleaned her nails. Read a while. Bed 10:00.

[June 13, 1943]

Sunday, June 13, 1943

Up about 6:30. Did my laundry. Made my bed. Dressed. Serre and Ch. Casey persuaded me to go to confession and communion; so I did. Mess at the Ridgewood. “Joe” is on K.P., so Serre and I went to see Dangerous Lady and the Dead End Kids. Mess. Wrote Joe a letter—dandy. Shower. Read. Bed.

[June 14, 1943]

Monday, June 14, 1943

K.P.—Dining room morning Pots and Pans—P.M. D.R.—evening. Out early. “Joe” and I have been getting evening milkshakes. Swell—but not much for 15¢. Went to see Judy Garland and Van Heflin in "Presenting Lily Mars" Wonderful! Shower. Just made bed check.

[June 15, 1943]

Tuesday, June 15, 1943

Chaplain duty. Joseph, Ed, and Fav kept me company at times. Ed keeps asking for a date—no! McKee kept me late 6:10. Missed mess. Have been nibbling on graham crackers and chocolate to gain weight. Weigh only 118 now. I blame it on the heat. Stated on my last skirt. Pinned it up to be sewed tomorrow. Shower. Bed early—before 9. I like my run better every day.

[June 16, 1943]

Wednesday, June 16, 1943

Vehicle inspection daily. Mess at Ridgewood. Chaplain duties. Meet some nice people with the chaplains. Of course I have to remember I'm only the chauffeur. But I forget that when the chaplains are alone with me. Ran into Charlie. McKee and Casey had it out with Garner about ordering me and the other girls around. Quit at 5:05. Mess. P.X. shower. A few letters. Bed. Black out practice complete with sirens—air planes, etc.

[June 17, 1943]

Thursday, June 17, 1943

Regular routine up to 2:30 when I drove Father Casey to his parish (St. Paul's) It's a lovely church. I must go there again. I acted as bride's maid at a wedding at 3:00. Ruth Leonard and Kyron Bergen were joined in holy matrimony. Didn't know either before, but Father C. asked me if I would serve in that capacity, I accepted. He knew the two a long time. The bride, a civilian from Cambridge, Mass. looked lovely in her gown.

[drawing of gown] Short tulle veil—lace gloves to elbows. Small bouquet (nosegay) white rose buds. My gift from the bride a compact and a rose bug and a X.

Groom—a sailor best man—Robert Burke another sailor—all young. Ceremony was very simple, but sincere and sacred. No music, no flowers, no audience—(2 old women) Garner and I ate at the Prince George so I wouldn't have to miss mess again. The boys are a great bunch for teasing. Worked til 6:30. Chatted. Shower. Bed.

[June 18, 1943]

Friday, June 18, 1943

Same run. Met up with Charlie for a few minutes again. He was hurt where he was and sent here temporarily—is an M.P.—6 hr a day job. Pappy (McKee) bought me a coke again. They’re all swell eggs! Have been running into old acquaintances at cantonment. The other half of our 16th co. left for Alabama, four were sent to Va.—I run into a new Pole nearly every day—some fun! No men in my army life yet. Married ones, yes, Bieber and Van der Kooi are my honeys. Haven't sewed my skirt yet. Well, the WAAC show is over and I didn't get to see it. They say it was a wow!

Regularity plus—after my shower last night—I knew it was my day! There are a lot of old grandmas riding bicycles here in Daytona. Pappy and his cigars and pipe. Van der Kooi—cigarettes. Had myself a tear “deluge”—in the mood. Shower. Bed.—Hard time with Morpheus.

[June 22, 1943]

Tuesday, June 22, 1943

Day was slow! Drive Bieber occasionally—leaves me limp! Did some laundry. Shower. Bed.

[June 23, 1943]

Wednesday, June 23, 1943

Cleaned vehicle and what happens. Thomas got it back. I felt pretty low about it. Got a Ford and drove for Lt. Warren, Ass. Dir. Of Training. Drove Lt. Bonner (F) more.

[June 24, 1943]

Thursday, June 24, 1943

Warren again. Drove him, Bieber and Marchetti to Cantonment. Oh! Oh! What a precious load. Today's “Chevy” was a fizzle. When I got back I reported its faults. The section leader had it dead lined. Laundry. P.X.

[June 25, 1943]

Friday, June 25, 1943

Col. Fisher—Ouch! Sit-down job at cantonment. Managed to drive 30 mi., including one trip into town. What a down pour. General Faith here parade on review for him—in the rain. Got soaked as usual, getting in and out of the car to salute the flag. Washed my hair. P.X. “Jo” played at setting “ ”. Wrote about 5 letters between trips. Read a little. Bed.

[June 26, 1943]

Saturday, June 26, 1943

Dressed in cover-alls, but had to go back to dress. Darn it! I wonder what happened to “Joe Blo.” Terrific rain between 4:30 and 6:30 A.M. It's raining so we won't go to town. Feast with Serre's box. Talk, talk and more talk. Todd and Turville played with my Chinese checkers game. I did later. Played a few hands of solitaire. Tired. Bed early.

[June 27, 1943]

Sunday, June 27, 1943

Slept 'til 8:00. Lay awhile longer. Dreams of him—Bieber, of course. Dressed for church (down pour outside). Just as I was leaving for Father Casey's car a call from the motor pool comes for me. Of all things I am to report immediately for K.P. at the Ridgewood. Oh, well, it's raining anyhow. Good day for it. Won't have it next Monday now. Arrived at almost 10:00. Cleaned the two large white refrigerators. P.M. on pots and pans. Evening on silverware. Left early. “Beanie” came along in a jeep and took me home. Got back about 5:45. Washed some “undies.” Shower. Letters. Read a while. Bed.

You'll notice I'm using all my scrap paper, but hang on to it, too.