Object ID: WV0383.4.043
Description: Reeves reports that things are in a kind of limbo, including a potential new canteen, the timeframe for Tom's return to the states, and her own decision of when to submit her resignation, as men are now leaving for the U.S. in droves.
Creator: Jean Holdridge Reeves
Biographical Info: Jean Holdridge Reeves (b. 1920) of Marion, Ohio, served in the Pacific as a member of the Red Cross from 1944 to 1946.
Collection: Jean Holdridge Reeves Papers
Rights: It is responsibility of the user to follow the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). Materials are not to be reproduced in published works without written consent, and any use should credit Jackson Library, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
The sun has decided to rise and shine for the first time. Looks as if it would be a lovely day too. I hope so and then perhaps we can go to Mount Arayat. Tom is on his way out now. Being on our schedule you can have your day's work done by the time he arrived. Here it takes 2½ hours to drive 65 miles.
Sue leaves this week for home and Betty the next. That leaves only 6 and we are to have no replacements. When all of the POWs have gone through we can manage. Mary drew up complete plans for a canteen but the last few days we’ve heard nothing about it. Build your hopes and then boom— that’s the army. I can’t quite decide whether it has taught me to have more or less patience. Do know that no one runs over me out here, and you’d better be the first man on the draw too.
You’d better have lots of bartering articles because that’s the way we do business. On my last trip to Manila I wanted to start bargaining for a pina cloth tablecloth but the delay enroute withheld all the shopping time.
No one of you has asked about my coming home but suppose maybe you are wondering and hoping. I too am doing the same and only wish I could really make a decision on the matter. A few weeks ago it didn’t look as if Tom would get home for 9 mon. or a year but with points as they are he should be eligible for the first of November. After the date of eligibility you must be on orders in 60 days. Perhaps wait for transportation a week or 10 days and zoom, you’re there. That you see is not too far off. It’s all been such a readjustment in the plans that it’s hard to get your feet on the ground. In the next month I’m going to have to make some kind of decision because we have to allow about 3 months from time of resignation until we can be back – or maybe you wouldn’t even be out in that time if shipping space is too tied up.
Does Jim think there is any possibility of his being home for Christmas? Certainly am sorry we’re not going to see each other out here but a stateside reunion would be far better.
We had a party for Mr. Varnum last night. He’s on his way home today. It is hard to imagine how many thousands are receiving orders daily. Up until a couple weeks ago only a very few had actually gone and the point system seemed to be a farce, but now they are really moving. Pressure from higher headquarters and no longer is there this holding back because George Murphy is essential.
Better get up now. I’m finishing this in bed early Monday morning.