Margaret Helen “June” Crowel grew up in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and graduated from high school there in 1943. She worked as a riveter in a Fisher Aircraft defense plant until she turned twenty in 1945 and could join the Marine Corps Women’s Reserve.
Crowel attended basic training at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina in 1945. Her first assignment was doing clerical work at Marine Corps Headquarters in Washington, D.C., and she was billeted at Henderson Hall in Arlington, Virginia. Following the war she was retained by the Marine Corps to help process terminal leaves. In 1950, Crowel reenlisted and was transferred to El Toro, California, where she spent three years as the first sergeant of the detachment. From 1953 until 1958, Crowel was stationed at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia. She then served as a drill instructor for three years at Parris Island, South Carolina.
From 1961 to 1964, Crowel was stationed in the company office at Camp Lejeune. For the next three years, Crowel was the administrative chief of the battalion office in San Diego, California. In 1967, Crowel returned to Camp Lejeune for another three-year tour. She went back to San Diego from 1970 until 1973, and was later stationed in San Francisco, California. She retired from the Marine Corps as a sergeant while stated at Cherry Point in Havelock, North Carolina.