Phyllis Hinton Snyder (b. 1923) of North Canton, Ohio, served as an aviation machinist’s mate in the Marine Corps Women’s Reserve from 1943 to 1945.
Phyllis Hinton Snyder was born on 15 February 1923 and grew up on a farm in North Canton, Ohio. She graduated from Middle Branch High School in 1940 and worked in war production for the Hoover Sweeper Company until 1943.
Snyder joined the Women Marines in May 1943. She completed basic training at Hunter College in New York and then went to aviation machinist’s mate school in Memphis, Tennessee, and Norman, Oklahoma. Snyder’s first station was in the headquarters squadron at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in California. She met Bill Snyder on the train to California and they were married in November 1944. Phyllis Snyder left the Marines in 1945 and traveled with her husband to Marine Corps stations in the Mojave Desert; Santa Barbara, California; Hawaii; and Cherry Point, North Carolina. The couple had two daughters.