Ruby Morgan Sheridan grew up in Shelby, North Carolina, and studied home economics at the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro) from 1936 to 1940. She immediately went to work in Lynchburg, Virginia, as the manager of Guggenheimer’s department store tea room. In 1942, she went to work for Cannon Mills' dining room in Kannapolis, North Carolina.
Sheridan left Cannon Mills in December for a job as the assistant to the cafeteria director at a service club at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. In spring 1943, she moved to Camp Sutton, North Carolina, and in 1944, to Camp Rucker in Alabama. After World War II ended, Sheridan went to the Overseas Replacement Depot in Greensboro, and then worked at Fort Bragg again until she left the Special Services in 1947. She was a service club director at Camp Rucker and during her second stint at Fort Bragg, but otherwise worked in the service club cafeterias.
After leaving the Special Services, Sheridan was the assistant director of the Charlotte Country Club for one year. She then spent eight years as a food manager at Duke University before leaving for a job at Wake Forest University's new campus in Winston-Salem in 1956. After five and half years there, she became the cafeteria manager for Sears and Roebuck's catalog order house in Greensboro. After getting her master’s degree in nutrition in 1969, she taught at a variety of junior colleges until retiring from East Carolina University in 1983.