Bernice Moran Miller was born and raised in Dunnstown, Pennsylvania. After graduating high school in 1927, she attended nearby Lock Haven Teachers College (now Lock Haven University) and graduated in 1931. She worked as a waitress for two years before securing a teaching position at a rural elementary school in Allenwood, Pennsylvania. She taught there for four years and then at a school in Montgomery, Pennsylvania, until enlisting in the the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps in October 1942.
Miller attended basic training at Fort Des Moines, Iowa, and then went to photography school at Lowry Field in Denver, Colorado. She was then assigned to the 2nd Mapping Squadron at Felts Field, Washington, in spring 1943 and Miller remained there until early 1944, when she was transferred back to Lowry Feild. In July 1944, she was transferred to Wright-Patterson Field in Dayton, Ohio, where she analyzed photographs to identify German scientific and factory equipment. Miller was discharged on 17 October 1945.
Bernice Miller married Herbert Miller in January 1944. She was a teacher until her retirement and has traveled to over 140 countries.