Virginia “Ginny” Gilbert Mattson of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, was born on 27 January 1922 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Williamsport High School in 1938 and then attended Dickinson Junior College and Susie Wheaton’s Business School, also in Williamsport. Mattson then worked in a women’s apparel store.
Mattson joined the WAVES in June 1944. She attended basic training at Hunter College in the Bronx, New York, and then completed three months of yeoman training at Cedar Falls, Iowa. She served in the personnel office at the Naval Supply Depot in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, until her discharge in August 1946.
Ginny Mattson married Arnold M. Mattson on 11 June 1947, and they adopted their daughter, Katharine Mattson, in 1956. They lived in New York and Greensboro, North Carolina. Ginny Mattson died 19 December 2003.