Henrietta Stevenson Ingram (b. 1925) was born in Statesville, North Carolina. Both of her parents passed away by the time she was thirteen. Ingram attended Morningside High School and then worked at the Betty Lou Shop in Salisbury, North Carolina.
In early 1943, Ingram enlisted in the WAC and was inducted in Charlotte. Ingram attended basic training at Fort Des Moines, Iowa, and was then assigned to Douglas Army Air Base, Arizona, with other African American WACs. She first worked as a mimeograph operator in the print shop. Ingram later served as a nurse’s aide in the base clinic. In December 1943, Ingram left the army due to her marriage and pregnancy. Her husband remained in the navy, and was stationed in New York following World War II.
In March 1951, Ingram began work as a nurse’s aide at Ewing Hospital in New York City, while attending laboratory and x-ray technician classes on the GI Bill. Following completion of that program, she was given a job at Bird S. Coler Hospital doing blood bank and serology work. In 1959 she went to the Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital in the Bronx as the supervising technician in serology. In 1962, she began work at the Military Sea Transportation Service, Brooklyn Army Terminal, and took night courses. In 1970 Ingram took charge of the lab at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, New York, and continued going to school at night until she completed her bachelor’s degree at York College in Jamaica, New York. She remained at Fort Hamilton for fourteen years, until her retirement around 1984, and then moved back to North Carolina to reside in Greensboro.