Dorothy “Dot” Post Hoover was born in Asheville, North Carolina. She attended Lee Edwards High School and then Biltmore Junior College (now the University of North Carolina at Asheville), graduating in 1934. After a year of business school, Hoover went to work as a legal stenographer. She married in 1938 and the couple moved to High Point, North Carolina, in 1940, and then to Greenville, South Carolina. There Hoover learned to fly airplanes with the Civilian Pilot Training Program at Furman University. Her husband was called to active duty in 1941, and the couple lived outside Camp Davis, North Carolina, until he was sent overseas in February 1942. Hoover then returned to Asheville and worked in the bookkeeping department of the Thomas Farmers’ Federation. She was sent by the Federation to be a clerk for A.C. Reynolds in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Hoover enlisted in the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in 1943 and was sent to Sweetwater, Texas, for six months of basic training. In October 1943 she was assigned to training service at South Plains Air Force Base, Lubbock, Texas. There she flew a P-60 that towed military gliders used for glider pilot training. In summer 1944, she was transferred to Eagle Pass Air Force Base, Texas, where she towed targets for aerial gunnery practice. She was then sent to Basic Instructors’ School at Randolph Field in San Antonio, Texas. After completing the program, she returned to Eagle Pass AFB. She was discharged from the WASP in December of 1944 when the branch was disbanded.
Hoover returned to Asheville and worked briefly at the Farmers Federation. She later worked for the Civil Air Patrol and the Air Force Communications Agency headquarters in Asheville before becoming a court reporter in the mid-1960s. Hoover retired from the court system in 1978.