Doris Wofford Armenaki of Cornelia, Georgia, was born on 3 November 1923, the daughter of a homemaker and a hardware businessman. Raised in northeast Georgia, Wofford graduated from Cornelia High School in 1940 and North Georgia College, a predominantly male military school, in 1942. She was accepted at the Georgia Baptist Hospital School of Nursing (now part of Mercer University) and began her training there in June 1942.
Armenaki joined the Cadet Nurse Corps in late 1943 or early 1944. After completing her training, she was sent to Kennedy General Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, for six months from January to June 1945. Armenaki then accepted a commission for the Army Nurse Corps and completed basic training at Camp Rucker, Alabama. After one month of basic, Armenaki went to Lawson General Hospital in Atlanta. She remained at Lawson until the summer of 1946, when she was transferred to the hospital at Fort Dix, New Jersey. She was separated from service in November 1946 as a second lieutenant.
In the spring of 1946, Doris married Thomas Armenaki. She worked as a nurse for several Atlanta doctors and dentists before the Armenakis moved to Greensboro in 1956. After residing in Virginia and Tennessee, Doris Armenaki returned to Greensboro in June 1971 after her husband's death. She attended nursing school at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) from 1971 to 1974 and then completed her master's degree in nursing at the University of Alabama in Birmingham in 1975. In the fall of that year Armenaki became an assistant professor of medical-surgical nursing at UNCG. She retired from teaching in 1992. Armenaki died in Greensboro on 5 February, 2013.