Eleanor Steinhebel Gurney of Detroit, Michigan, served in the Women Marines from May 1953 until 1954.
Eleanor Steinhebel Gurney (b. 1934) grew up in Detroit, Michigan, and graduated from Northeastern High School in 1952. She attended Marygrove College in Detroit for one semester, and then worked for a chiropractor before joining the United States Marine Corps Reserve in May 1953.
Gurney attended boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina, and was then assigned to the disbursing office there. She met Marine Joe Gurney at Parris Island, and the were married in December 1953. Eleanor Gurney left the Marines in June 1954. She later worked as a civilian at Camp Lejuene and for the federal government. The couple had six children.