Carolyn Newby Finger was born in Savannah, Georgia, but raised in Newton, North Carolina. After graduating from high school in 1937, she attended the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro). She graduated in 1941 and then taught school and worked in a bank in Kings Mountain.
Finger joined the WAVES in 1944. She went to midshipmen’s school at Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated as an ensign in July 1944. After a month of temporary duty at Philadelphia Naval Air Station, she attended Supply School at Radcliffe College in Boston, Massachusetts, from October to December 1944. In January 1945, Finger was assigned to the disbursing office at a convalescent hospital in Asheville, North Carolina. When the hospital was decommissioned in March 1946, Finger left the military.
Finger married Carl Finger in June 1946 had two children. She then returned to teaching high school for another twenty-eight years. Finger passed in 2003.