Well Crafted NC

Cascade Saloon, Then & Now

The Cascade Saloon, far right in the above image, was originally opened by 1891 at 410 South Elm Street, Greensboro, by S.J McCauley

The earliest mention of Samuel J. McCauley that we’ve found is in 1884, when he was already operating a saloon in Greensboro. In 1885, there was an announcement in the Greensboro Patriot of his being granted a renewal of his liquor license, and by 1891 he was running a saloon out of a wooden building at 408/410 S. Elm Street. On June 10 of that year, a large fire downtown possibly started in a boxcar filled with 30+ barrels of kerosene. The car exploded 20 ft. from McCauley’s saloon, "Which is of wood and... was with great difficulty saved" (Greensboro Patriot, 6/11/1891)".

In 1895 McCauley began construction of the current brick exterior of the Cascade Saloon, hugging the original wooden structure. It seems to have been completed in 1896.

In 1901 McCauley relocated to the Hotel Clegg, 366 S. Elm Street. Noted later occupants of the building include Wiley and Ida Weaver, an african american couple who owned and operated an eatery in the building beginning around 1909 even as Jim Crow laws (1896-1965) were taking root across the South.

The occupants of the building through the years include:

1891
S.J. McCauley (410)
1903-1904
Hague-McCorkle Dry Goods Company (408)
1909-1910
Wiley Weaver (408)
W.F. Clegg Commission Brokerage (410)
1915-1916
Cascade Billiard Parlor (408)
Central Cafe (410)
1920
Central Cafe (408/410)
1925
Atlanta Weinie Stand/Cascade Pool Parlor (410)
1935
Gate City Produce (410)
1945
Chris Kypris Restaurant (408)
George Hill (grocer) (410)
1950
Central Cafe (408)
1955
Roberts Antique Shop (408)
Gate City Produce (410)
1960
Baker Furniture Co. (408)
1970
Overton Furniture Co. (408)
Security Moving & Storage (410)
1975
Bowman Chapel Bargain Center (408)
A-1 Salvage Sales (410)

The Cascade Saloon was recognized in in 1982 as a contributing building within the Downtown Greensboro Historic District.

Historical images taken from UNCG Digital Collections. Items held by the Greensboro History Museum and the UNCG University Libraries.