Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

202 records found browsing for the years 1950-1960.

South east corner of the Infirmary covered in ivy, circa 1950.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Main circulation desk on the first floor of the Library pictured in 1950.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Three woman using the card catalog inside the Library in 1950.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the entrance to the Kirkland Dormitory in 1950.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Stone Building as seen from College Avenue in 1956.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This 1950 photograph shows Carnegie Library from College Avenue. This building, a gift of steel baron Andrew Carnegie, was designed by Hook & Sawyer of Charlotte. It opened in 1905 as the Carnegie Library. The building was partially destroyed by fire on September 15, 1932, and was enlarged during its reconstruction. The Library reopened in 1933. In 1955, the building was extensively renovated for classroom use. In 1957, the building was named for Edward Jacob Forney, School treasurer and chair of the Commercial Department from 1892 to 1940.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the mountains directly south of Burnsville, as seen from the Burnsville School of Fine Arts cafeteria and classroom buildings. The Burnsville School of Fine Arts was established in 1947 by Professor William Raymond Taylor of Woman’s College (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro). First called Burnsville School of Drama, it then became Burnsville School of Fine Arts. In 1965, Woman’s College relinquished sponsorship of the project to the University of Miami, Florida.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Classroom building at Burnsville School of Fine Arts in 1950. The Burnsville School of Fine Arts was established in 1947 by Professor William Raymond Taylor of Woman’s College (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro). First called Burnsville School of Drama, it then became Burnsville School of Fine Arts. In 1965, Woman’s College relinquished sponsorship of the project to the University of Miami, Florida.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Ragsdale-Mendenhall Residence Hall pictured in 1950. The Ragsdale Residence Hall, designed by Northrup & O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1950 and was named in honor of Virginia Ragsdale, Department of Mathematics faculty, from 1911 to 1928 and the third faculty member to hold a PhD degree. The Mendenhall Residence Hall, designed by Northrup & O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1950 and was named in honor of Gertrude Whittier Mendenhall, Head of Department of Mathematics from 1892 to 1926.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Ragsdale-Mendenhall Residence Hall, 1950. Cars are parked along Gray Drive in front of the dorm, and a student in a long dress is walking past. The Ragsdale Residence Hall, designed by Northrup & O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1950 and was named in honor of Virginia Ragsdale, Department of Mathematics faculty, from 1911 to 1928 and the third faculty member to hold a PhD degree. The Mendenhall Residence Hall, designed by Northrup & O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1950 and was named in honor of Gertrude Whittier Mendenhall, Head of Department of Mathematics from 1892 to 1926.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Students' Building, as seen from across College Avenue,in 1950. The cornerstone of the Students’ Building was laid in 1902. Contributions from students, faculty, and visiting speakers allowed the completion of the three story structure in 1906. It housed the Domestic Science and Manual Training departments, the post office and book store, society halls, a banquet hall, and a 700 seat auditorium. The building was razed in 1950.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Carnegie Library in 1950. The building is shown here after expansion in 1923, with awnings on the second story windows.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of someone walking along the sidewalk adjacent to Spencer Residence Hall in the snow.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Aerial view of campus, probably late 1940s or early 1950s. Pictured are the Library, the Quadrangle, and the Science Building.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[McIver Building]

Morton, Hugh M.

1950

A color posctard photograph of the McIver Memorial Building at the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina. The Statue of Charles Duncan McIver can be seen in its original location in front of the building.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This potcard shows the Home Economics building and reads, "Home Economics Building, Woman's College of the University of North Carolina, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized image of a stream in Peabody Park, surrounded by blooming trees. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Music Building (Tate Street)]

Dexter Press, Pearl River, N.Y.

1950

Color postcard image of the Music Building at the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina, circa 1950. Created by Dexter Press, Pearl River, N.Y. The inscription reads, "View of the Music Building, W.C.V.N.C. [supposed to be W.C.U.N.C.] Greensboro N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized postcard image of the Music Building at the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina, circa 1950. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. The incription reads, "Music Building Woman's College University of North Carolina Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This postcard shows the Home Management House located at 320 McIver Street. The inscription reads, "The Home Management House, Woman's College, University of North Carolina Greensboro, N.C." management.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Parkway Playhouse]

Bowers, Jack W.

1950

This color photograph shows the Parkway Playhouse in Burnsville, North Carolina, circa 1950. The postcard was created by W.M. Cline Co., Asheville, N.C. Photograph by Jack W. Bowers.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This crica 1950 postcard show the old Gove Infirmary.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard showing entrance to Weil-Winfield Residence Hall in the Quad, post dated January 19, 1951. The inscription reads, "Showing Main Entrance to Martha Winfield and Minda Weil Halls, Woman's College, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Blue United Nations flag with white appliqué featuring a globe design and laurel leaves and 7 hanging grommets. The flag measures 60" L x 34" W.

Collection: UA107 Textile Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Emerald green class numerals for marshal regalia reading, "1951" in white stitching. The numerals belonged to Jean Elizabeth Williams Prevost, Class of 1950.

Collection: UA107 Textile Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Previous - listing page 2 of 9 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo