Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

204 records found browsing for the years 1950-1960.

Milestones [1950]

Bradley, Ina Lou;Dierks, Darwin

1950

This is the 1950 Curry School yearbook titled "Milestones". Curry High School was a practice and observation school operated from 1893 through 1970 by the institution now known as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. This issue includes a "Who's Who" section, a description of each senior and an overview of sports.

Collection: UA6.4.4 Curry School Yearbooks (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Curry High School (Greensboro, N.C.)--Students--Yearbooks


This is the 1950 Hill Directory Co. city directory for Greensboro, North Carolina.

Collection: UNCG University Libraries General Collection (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- Directories


This program is from the 50th Anniversary celebration at College Place United Methodist Church, held from November 26th to December 3, 1950. It includes the order of oorship and events held during that week. There are historical essays (accompanied by black and white photographs) on the founding of College Place, biographical sketches of pastors up to Rev. James Stokes in 1950. Also highlighted are the various other church ministries during these years.

Collection: CPUMC Archives (College Place United Methodist Church (Greensboro, N.C.))

Subjects: United Methodist Church (U.S.) -- North Carolina


Coraddi [Winter 1950]

Elliott, Mary

1950

Collection: UA42.4.02 Coraddi (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Coraddi [Summer 1950]

McLean, Joanne

1950

Collection: UA42.4.02 Coraddi (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Coraddi [Fall 1950]

Elliott, Mary

1950

Collection: UA42.4.02 Coraddi (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Coraddi [Arts Forum 1950]

Elliott, Mary

1950

Collection: UA42.4.02 Coraddi (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Pine Needles [1950]

Mamber, Helen

1950

The 1950 yearbook includes a brief class history and a commencement program. The yearbook of the institution known since 1963 as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was published between 1902 and 1993, first as The Decennial (1902), later as The Carolinian (1909-1917), and finally as Pine Needles (1920-1993).

Collection: UA42.4.03 Pine Needles (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina College for Women; North Carolina College for Women--Students--Yearbooks; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina--Students--Yearbooks; University of North Carolina at Greensboro; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Students--Yearbooks


The Story of Cone Denim folder contains a brochure featuring information on the history of the Cone Mills Corporation. It describes how and why brothers Moses H. and Ceasar Cone, natives of Tennessee, formed the Cone Export and Commission Company in New York, but moved the office to Greensboro, NC in 1893. Also included is information on how the Proximity Cotton Mill was established when the Cone brothers decided to manufacture denim. Information on the number of looms and employees is listed. Key developments in company history are also presented. It is of note that the brochure uses pictures featuring workers and machinery in addition to the text descriptions to detail the process of creating denim from cotton.

Collection: N.C. Vertical Folders (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Cone Mills Corporation; Textile industry -- North Carolina -- Greensboro


The annual yearbook for The Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina (North Carolina A. & T. State University).

Collection: Ayantee (F.D. Bluford Library, North Carolina A and T State University)

Subjects: North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University; African Americans -- Education


Collection: Bennett College Scrapbook Collection (Thomas F. Holgate Library, Bennett College)

Subjects: Bennett College (Greensboro, N.C.); African Americans -- Education; Women -- Education


Greensboro College yearbook.

Collection: Greensboro College Yearbooks Collection (James Addison Jones Library, Greensboro College)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


Guilford College yearbook.

Collection: The Quaker (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Guilford College


[Aerial view of campus]

Moebes, Jack

1950

Aerial photo of campus taken in 1950. Construction of Coleman Gym can be seen in the bottom right and the Library is in the center.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Two students from Curry School dust and vacuum in the home economics cottage in 1950. The Curry Cottage, opened in 1948 on the Curry School grounds, was used by Curry School home economics students and Woman’s College home economics majors. For three years starting in 1968, Curry Cottage provided a place for teenage girls, who were pregnant, to continue their schooling.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Betty Jane Davis (left) and another student sitting on the floor of the home economics cottage in 1950 reading. The Curry Cottage, opened in 1948 on the Curry School grounds, was used by Curry School home economics students and Woman’s College home economics majors. For three years starting in 1968, Curry Cottage provided a place for teenage girls, who were pregnant, to continue their schooling.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Four students wearing aprons are pictured in the home economics cottage kitchen in 1950. The Curry Cottage, opened in 1948 on the Curry School grounds, was used by Curry School home economics students and Woman’s College home economics majors. For three years starting in 1968, Curry Cottage provided a place for teenage girls, who were pregnant, to continue their schooling.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This 1950 photograph shows the view of College Avenue from stairs of Curry Building across Spring Garden Street. College Avenue was designed in the early 1900s by landscape architect Warren Henry Manning to be the central artery of the campus. It was converted to a pedestrian mall in 2004. Spring Garden Street is a main east/west artery running through the heart of the campus. The section of Spring Garden Street between Aycock Street and Tate Street was extensively improved in 1998 to create a landscaped boulevard.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Students on the steps outside the Alumnae House, circa 1950s. This building opened in 1937 and is considered an excellent example of neo-Georgian architecture. It was designed by Penrose V. Stout of Bronxville, New York, and modeled after Homewood in Baltimore, Maryland. The building was called the Alumnae House from 1937 to November 1972, when the name was changed to the Alumni House.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the interior view of North Spencer Residence Hall in the 1950s or 1960s. The Spencer Residence Hall, designed by W. C. Holleyman of Greensboro, North Carolina, consists of two connect building; North Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1904, and South Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1907. The building was named in honor of Cornelia Phillips Spencer, a poet, social historian, and journalist. She was instrumental in having the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill reopened after Reconstruction.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph, which appeared in the 1950 Pine Needles, shows College Avenue from the entrance of the Curry Building. College Avenue was designed in the early 1900s by landscape architect Warren Henry Manning to be the central artery of the campus. It was converted to a pedestrian mall in 2004.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Alumnae House in the snow, ca. 1950s. This building opened in 1937 and is considered an excellent example of neo-Georgian architecture. It was designed by Penrose V. Stout of Bronxville, New York, and modeled after Homewood in Baltimore, Maryland. The building was called the Alumnae House from 1937 to November 1972, when the name was changed to the Alumni House.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Captioned photograph of the south side of Aycock Auditorium, circa 1950. The caption reads "We take a seat at the gas station across the street (itself a nice piece of architecture) and rest our eyes upon AYCOCK AUDITORIUM. Our trip is not yet over; but we are going to abide (I like that word abide) awhile here. It is good for the soul." The back of the photo reads "comments authored by E.J. Forney, charter memeber of the faculty, in early 1950s or late 1940s."Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. It was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock in 1928. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the library of the Alumnae House with a portrait of Dr. Julius I. Foust over the mantle. This building opened in 1937 and is considered an excellent example of neo-Georgian architecture. It was designed by Penrose V. Stout of Bronxville, New York, and modeled after Homewood in Baltimore, Maryland. The building was called the Alumnae House from 1937 to November 1972, when the name was changed to the Alumni House.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the library of the Alumnae House with a portrait of Dr. Julius I. Foust over the mantle. This building opened in 1937 and is considered an excellent example of neo-Georgian architecture. It was designed by Penrose V. Stout and modeled after Homewood in Baltimore, Maryland. The building was called the Alumnae House from 1937 to November 1972, when the name was changed to the Alumni House.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


listing page 1 of 9 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo