Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

1076 records found browsing for the years 1930-1940.

This photograph show a student seated on the bridge in Peabody Park taken sometime in the 1920s or 1930s. Peabody Park was created from a tract of land located behind the original campus. Philanthropist George Foster Peabody gave the College $10,000 in 1901 and President Charles Duncan McIver earmarked half of the funds to develop an educational park. It was named in honor of his relative, George Peabody, who had also been a benefactor of schools in the South. The original plan for the park, designed by landscape architect Warren H. Manning of Boston, included five miles of graded drives and walkways. It served as a resource for natural science classes, student ceremonies, and dramatic productions, and a place for the students’ mandatory walking period. With the elimination of the mandatory walking period in the 1920s and “Park Night” in 1935, Peabody Park became neglected. It has gradually been repurposed for dormitories and academic buildings and is now a small wooded area on the northern edge of the campus.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Curry Building (Spring Garden Street). The Curry Building, located on Spring Garden Street, was designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina. It opened in 1926 to replace the original Curry Building which had burned that year. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro) in the early 1890s. The building was used as a training school until 1970.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


An interior postcard photograph of Aycock Auditorium as viewed from the stage looking out on rows of empty seats, circa 1930. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. It was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock in 1928. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard photograph of Aycock Auditorium's stage as viewed from the auditorium, decorated with a piano and an assortment of chairs,in 1930. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. The inscription on the postcard reads, "Stage of Aycock Audotirum, North Carolina College for Women Greensboro, N.C." Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. It was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock in 1928. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This 1930 postcard, created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn N.Y." shows the Curry Building. The inscription reads, "Curry Building, School of Education, North Carolina College for Women Greensboro N.C." The Curry Building, located on Spring Garden Street, was designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina. It opened in 1926 to replace the original Curry Building which had burned that year. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro) in the early 1890s. The building was used as a training school until 1970.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized postcard image of Aycock Auditorium, circa 1930. The inscription on the postcard reads, "Auditorium N.C.C.W., Greensboro N.C." Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. It was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock in 1928. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photographic image of the sitting room on the first floor of the Guilford Residence Hall, circa 1930. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.The inscription on the postcard reads, "Sitting Room, New Guilford Dormitory, North Carolina College for Women, Greensboro, N.C." This building, designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1928 and was named for Guilford County, home to the University. In 1960, the name of the building was changed from New Guilford Residence Hall to Guilford Residence Hall.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard photograph of Aycock Auditorium, circa 1930. Created by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. The postcard inscription reads, "Aycock Auditorium, North Carolina College for Women, Greensboro, N.C." Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. It was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock in 1928. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1930 photographic image shows the Rosenthal Gymnasium. The inscription on the postcard reads, "Physical Education Building, North Carolina College for Women, Greensboro, N.C." The Rosenthal Gymnasium was designed by Harry Barton and opened in 1925. From 1925 to 1928, the building was called the Physical Education Building. In 1928, it was named in honor of Jonathan “Joe” Rosenthal, a member of the Board of Directors from 1910 to 1927. In 1989, it was renamed the Rosenthal Annex when it became a part of the Health and Human Performance (HHP) Complex.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard showing swimming pool inside Rosenthal Gymnasium. The photograph was taken between 1925 and 1932. The Rosenthal Gymnasium was designed by Harry Barton and opened in 1925. From 1925 to 1928, the building was called the Physical Education Building. In 1928, it was named in honor of Jonathan “Joe” Rosenthal, a member of the Board of Directors from 1910 to 1927. In 1989, it was renamed the Rosenthal Annex when it became a part of the Health and Human Performance (HHP) Complex.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard showing portico entrance to South Spencer Residence Hall. The photograph was taken between 1919 and 1932. The inscription on the postcard reads, "South Spencer Entrance, the North Carolina College for Women, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Green silk-blend pennant with white appliqué reading, "TRUTH" and a lantern symbol with the numbers, "30." The pennant also has double ties at the end and measures 35" L x 16 3/4" W with 18" ties.

Collection: UA107 Textiles Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Catalogue of North Carolina College for Women located in Greensboro, N.C.

Collection: University Archives Reference Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina College for Women--Curricula--Catalogs; Universities and colleges--Curricula--Catalogs


[Class of 1930 folder]

Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives

1930

The Class of 1930 folder contains material pertaining to the 1930 graduating class of North Carolina College for Women (NCCW, now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro)" Included in the folder are printed programs from 1930 commencement activities such as the NCCW graduation, Class Day, Alumnae Week-end Seminar, and Alumnae Day exercises; the baccalaureate sermon and vesper service; the Park Night Service; the junior-senior prom; and the commencement weekend festivities. Also included are a reminder for the 25th reunion; a letter requesting donations for the Alumnae Fund; the Alumnae News for the class of 1930 published in February 1931; and a ticket to a ""Performance by the Play-Likers." Of particular interest are a printed program for the Orchesus dance drama, complete with handwritten notes and doodles; and a flyer for the senior-faculty cruise ship tour.

Collection: UA108.3 Class Of Files (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Aerial view of campus ""probably late 1920s or early 1930s."" 54321

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This folder contains information from the Southern Railway System Textile Directory. Pamphlet includes charts, graphs, and company information of the Cotton Mills that served along the Southern Railway System. Also includes map breakdown of the Southern Railway System.

Collection: N.C. Vertical Folders (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Railroads -- United States -- Directories


The Carolinian [January 9, 1930]

Taylor, Mattie-Moore

1930-01-09

The January 9, 1930, issue of The Carolinian, the student newspaper of the North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Collection: UA42.4.01 The Carolinian (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Newspapers; College student newspapers and periodicals-- North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History


The Carolinian [January 16, 1930]

Taylor, Mattie-Moore

1930-01-16

The January 16, 1930, issue of The Carolinian, the student newspaper of the North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Collection: UA42.4.01 The Carolinian (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Newspapers; College student newspapers and periodicals-- North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History


The Carolinian [January 23, 1930]

Taylor, Mattie-Moore

1930-01-23

The January 23, 1930, issue of The Carolinian, the student newspaper of the North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Collection: UA42.4.01 The Carolinian (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Newspapers; College student newspapers and periodicals-- North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History


Coraddi [February 1930]

Gaut, Betty

1930-02

Collection: UA42.4.02 Coraddi (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Collection: UA43.6.01 Alumnae News (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Arts--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; Creative writing (Higher education)--North Carolina--Greensboro--Periodicals; College student newspapers and periodicals--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Periodicals; College students' writings, American--North Carolina--Greensboro


Children of the moon [production records]

University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Department of Theatre

1930-02--07

Material pertaining to the production of "Children of the moon" at North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro) in 1930-02--07.

Collection: UA4.28 Department of Theatre Records, 1897-2011 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Department of Theatre; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina


Pamphlet containing an address delivered by Bernard Cone, President of the Proximity Cotton Mills of Greensboro, N.C., for an audience of the School of Commerce at the University of North Carolina (at Chapel Hill) in 1930.

Collection: N.C. Vertical Folders (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Cone Mills Corporation; Textile industry -- North Carolina -- Greensboro


The Carolinian [February 6, 1930]

Taylor, Mattie-Moore

1930-02-06

The February 6, 1930, issue of The Carolinian, the student newspaper of the North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Collection: UA42.4.01 The Carolinian (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Newspapers; College student newspapers and periodicals-- North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History


The Carolinian [February 13, 1930]

Taylor, Mattie-Moore

1930-02-13

The February 13, 1930, issue of The Carolinian, the student newspaper of the North Carolina College for Women (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Collection: UA42.4.01 The Carolinian (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Newspapers; College student newspapers and periodicals-- North Carolina--Greensboro; Student publications--North Carolina--Greensboro; Student activities--North Carolina--History


Previous - listing page 2 of 44 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo