Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

1139 records found browsing for the years 1930-1940.

This is the 1930 Hill Directory Co. city directory for Greensboro, North Carolina.

Collection: UNCG University Libraries General Collection (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- Directories


Pine Needles [1930]

Edwards, Dorothy Jeanne

1930

The theme of the 1930 yearbook is “Good Morning, America” by Carl Sandburg. Includes a senior class history and last will and testament. Other features include a 2-page photo college of a Leaders’ Camp in Blowing Rock, attended by students and administrators, full page portraits for superlative titles, and photo commemoration of a ceremonious “wedding” between the freshman and junior class. The yearbook of the institution now known as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was published between 1902 and 1993, first as The Decennial (1902), later as The Carolinian (1909-1917), and finally as Pine Needles (1920-1993).

Collection: UA42.4.03 Pine Needles (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina College for Women; North Carolina College for Women--Students--Yearbooks; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina--Students--Yearbooks; University of North Carolina at Greensboro; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Students--Yearbooks


This folder contains several lists of suggested and required reading for specific courses and Guilford College students in general. Courses include social sciences in general and Biology 12. The list of suggested reading for all students is hand-written, and seems mostl speculatory on the part of Raymond Binford.

Collection: MS440 Raymond and Helen Titsworth Binford Papers (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Binford, Raymond, 1876-1951; Guilford College


Several versions of an essay by Mary Mendenhall Hobbs titled "Old Jamestown." The essay was published in the Greensboro Daily News on January 13, 1930.

Collection: MS223 Mary Mendenhall Hobbs Papers, 1888-1930 (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Guilford College; Hobbs, L. L. (Lewis Lyndon), 1849-1932; Hobbs, Mary Mendenhall, 1852-1930; Women -- Education


Misc. Papers [Mary Mendenhall Hobbs papers]

Hobbs, Mary Mendenhall, 1852-1930

1930

This folder contains a handwritten draft of an essay by Mary titled "Home.", an original poem called "Lyndon's Shoes" and dated 1930, and a sketch of what appears to be an aerial view of a house.

Collection: MS223 Mary Mendenhall Hobbs Papers, 1888-1930 (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Guilford College; Hobbs, L. L. (Lewis Lyndon), 1849-1932; Hobbs, Mary Mendenhall, 1852-1930; Women -- Education


A large group of school children with their teachers pose under a detached portico.

Collection: Photo Collection -- Art Shop (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


A view of the main building at Greensboro College for Women before lightning strike in 1941.

Collection: Photo Collection -- Art Shop (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


A two-story brick house near on the campus of Greensboro College for Women.

Collection: Photo Collection -- Art Shop (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


A side view of two two-story brick houses near on the campus of Greensboro College for Women.

Collection: Photo Collection -- Art Shop (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


Greensboro College yearbook.

Collection: Greensboro College Yearbooks Collection (James Addison Jones Library, Greensboro College)

Subjects: Greensboro College (N.C.)


Guilford College yearbook.

Collection: The Quaker (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Guilford College


An aerial view of northwest Greensboro with views of West Market Baptist Church and Carnegie Negro Library.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


A view of the businesses on the 100-200 block of South Elm Street with cars and a tram on the street

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


A view of the 200-300 block on South Davie Street in downtown Greensboro with King Cotton Hotel and Odell Hardware visible on the right.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


An angle view of North Elm Street with cars lining the street. Businesses along this part of Elm Street include Jefferson Insurance, Saslow's Jewelers, Kress, Mangel's, and Patterson.

Collection: Postcards Collection (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


The King Cotton Hotel stood at the southeast corner of Market and David Streets in downtown Greensboro. The King Cotton was contructed in 1927 and imploded in the early 1970s. The offices of the Greensboro News and Record now stand on the site.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)


A view of the businesses on the 100-200 block of South Elm Street with cars and a tram on the street.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


A view of the 200-300 block on South Davie Street in downtown Greensboro with King Cotton Hotel and Odell Hardware visible on the right.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


Photograph of College Avenue with people walking and cars parked along the side of the road in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The Administration Building can be seen on the right and Guilford residence hall can be seen on the right. College Avenue was designed in the early 1900s by landscape architect Warren Henry Manning to be the central artery of the campus. It was converted to a pedestrian mall in 2004.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Sketch of Old Curry Building Ruins from cover of 1930 commencement invitation. The Curry Building, located on College Avenue, opened in 1902. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro), in the early 1890s. The building was used as a training, or practice, school for future teachers until it burned in 1926. The ruins were condemned and torn down in 1940.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Ruins of Old Curry Building, circa 1930. The Curry Building, located on College Avenue, opened in 1902. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro), in the early 1890s. The building was used as a training, or practice, school for future teachers until it burned in1926.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Students in graduation robes seated inside Aycock Auditorium, circa 1930s. Aycock Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. On June 4, 1928, the building was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock. Since its opening, the auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the University made extensive renovations to the building, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Foust Park as seen from the front of the Administration Building, looking towards Spring Garden Street, circa 1930. Two cars are parked in front of the building, and the trees are covered in ice. A park-like area, between Foust Building and Spring Garden Street, this green space has existed since 1892 when the School opened. Later known as Foust Park, it has been used through the years for May Day celebrations, summer concerts, and other campus activities.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1930 photograph shows students in the snow in Foust Park. A park-like area, between Foust Building and Spring Garden Street, this green space has existed since 1892 when the School opened. Later known as Foust Park, it has been used through the years for May Day celebrations, summer concerts, and other campus activities.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1930s photograph shows the Administration Building from Administration Drive. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to 1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


listing page 1 of 46 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo