Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

1334 records found browsing for the years 1920-1930.

This is the Greensboro city directory from 1920, published by the Hill Directory Co. "Containing an alphabetically arranged list of business firms and private citizens; a classified list of all trades, professions and pursuits; a street and avenue directory in numerical order; head of households; a miscellaneous directory of the city, county and state officers, public and private schools, churches, secret and benevolent societies, etc."-p. [5]. The directory also includes a brief overview of North Carolina, Guilford County, and Greensboro, and a list of North Carolina post offices.

Collection: NC Collection (Greensboro Public Library)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- Directories


Anna Gove correspondence, January 1920

Gove, Anna M. (Anna Maria), 1867-1948

1920

Collection: MSS002 Anna Maria Gove Collection, 1864 - 1952 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Gove, Anna M. (Anna Maria), 1867-1948; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 19th century; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 20th century United States - Description and travel; Women physicians - History - 19th century; Women physicians - History - 20th century


Collection: MSS002 Anna Maria Gove Collection, 1864 - 1952 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Gove, Anna M. (Anna Maria), 1867-1948; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 19th century; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 20th century United States - Description and travel; Women physicians - History - 19th century; Women physicians - History - 20th century


Collection: MSS002 Anna Maria Gove Collection, 1864 - 1952 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Gove, Anna M. (Anna Maria), 1867-1948; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 19th century; Physicians - North Carolina - History - 20th century United States - Description and travel; Women physicians - History - 19th century; Women physicians - History - 20th century


The 1920 yearbook is the first under the name Pine Needles. It includes senior class statistics, 1920 class history, and a section for the special class, who attend only one year. Also includes a section titled “War Time Features,” summarizing students’ contributions toward the war effort. The yearbook of the institution now known as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro was published between 1902 and 1993, first as The Decennial (1902), later as The Carolinian (1909-1917), and finally as Pine Needles (1920-1993).

Collection: UA42.4.03 Pine Needles (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina College for Women; North Carolina College for Women--Students--Yearbooks; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina; Woman's College of the University of North Carolina--Students--Yearbooks; University of North Carolina at Greensboro; University of North Carolina at Greensboro--Students--Yearbooks


Guilford College yearbook.

Collection: The Quaker (Friends Historical Collection, Hege Library, Guilford College)

Subjects: Guilford College


Old Curry Building, circa 1920.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph show the bridge leading to the dining halls. Kirkland Residence Hall is on the left and the Woman's Hall is on the right.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


The South Dining Hall, pictured in the 1920s or 1930s, is seen with tables set and prepared for the next meal.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the North Spencer Residence Hall, looking north along College Avenue, circa 1910s or 1920s.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of cars parked in front of the east wing of the McIver Memorial Building in 1920.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the McIver Memorial Building showing east wing addition on the right in 1920.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Aerial view of South and North Spencer Residence Halls, with people walking College Avenue in front to the building around 1920. The Spencer Dining Hall and kitchen sits behind South Spencer Residence Hall, the roof of the Students Building is visible in the foreground, and the Walker Bridge can be seen in the lower right.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Summer House at the entrance to Peabody Park, circa 1920s.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the Students' Building as seen from across College Avenue, circa 1920.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Summer House in Peabody Park, circa 1920s. The back of the photograph reads "Timbers from Guilford Co. Courthouse" and a note that says that statement is in the handwriting of Dr. Anna Gove but never verified, by M. Hood.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Cornelian Society Hall inside the Students' Building taken in the 1920s.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This 1920 photograph shows the entrance to the Shaw Residence Hall.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the Y.W.C.A.(Young Women's Christian Association) Hut, built in Peabody Park in 1918 by the Carpenterettes.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Interior of the Y.W.C.A. (Young Women's Christian Association) Hut, built in Peabody Park by college students (the Carpenterettes) in 1918.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Aerial view of campus and its surroundings before 1922. Foust Building is center, with College Avenue running parallel beside it.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the Y.W.C.A (Young Woman's Christian Association) Hut. The Y. W. C. A. Hut was built in 1918 at the end of College Avenue by the entrance to Peabody Park. A small group of students, known as the Carpenterettes, helped build the Hut because of the manpower shortage created by World War I. The Hut was built in a bungalow style with a large central hall and open fireplaces. It was used for a variety of social functions. The Y. W. C. A. secretary counseled students in her office in the Hut. The building was razed in the 1940s when North Drive was built.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the McIver Memorial Building after the addition. The McIver Memorial Building, opened in 1908, was named in honor of Charles Duncan McIver, founder and first president of the University. An east wing was added in 1920 and a west wing in 1922. It was declared unsafe in 1956 and razed in 1958.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Colorized postcard image of College Avenue of the North Carolina College for Women. The visible buildings (front to back) are Administration Building, the Carnegie Library, and the original Curry Building, circa 1920. The inscription on the postcard reads, "College Avenue, North Carolina College, Greensboro, N.C." College Avenue was designed in the early 1900s by landscape architect Warren Henry Manning to be the central artery of the campus. It was converted to a pedestrian mall in 2004.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Black and white photographic image of the McIver Memorial Building and the drive leading up to the entrance, circa 1920. The inscription on the postcard reads," Entrance to McIver Building, North Carolina College for Women, Greensboro, N.C."

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


listing page 1 of 54 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo