Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

Search all collections for items

1525 records found browsing for the years 1900-1910.

This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Brick Dormitory, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1892 and was one of the original buildings and primary dormitory. It was expanded in 1895 and included a kitchen, an infirmary room, and a dining hall. The dormitory was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1904, with all of the residents escaping unharmed.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the dining room located inside Brick Dormitory. Brick Dormitory, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1892 and was one of the original buildings and primary dormitory. It was expanded in 1895 and included a kitchen, an infirmary room, and a dining hall. The dormitory was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1904, with all of the residents escaping unharmed.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This vignette photograph shows the Main Building and Brick Dormitory. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Brick Dormitory, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1892 and was one of the original buildings and primary dormitory. It was expanded in 1895 and included a kitchen, an infirmary room, and a dining hall. The dormitory was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1904, with all of the residents escaping unharmed.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows women gathered outside the Infirmary (First) and Students Building. This building, the first separate structure to house the School infirmary, was built in 1895. It was located next to the Wooden/Midway/Guilford Dormitory on College Avenue and was used as an infirmary until 1912 when a larger infirmary was built on campus. After 1912, this building was used for music studios, practice rooms and offices and was called “Little Guilford.” Little Guilford was razed in 1947. The cornerstone of the Students’ Building was laid in 1902. Contributions from students, faculty, and visiting speakers allowed the completion of the three story structure in 1906. It housed the Domestic Science and Manual Training departments, the post office and book store, society halls, a banquet hall, and a 700 seat auditorium. The building was razed in 1950.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows two women walking along Spring Garden Street with Main Building and Brick Dormitory in the background. Spring Garden Street is a main east/west artery running through the heart of the campus. The section of Spring Garden Street between Aycock Street and Tate Street was extensively improved in 1998 to create a landscaped boulevard. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Brick Dormitory, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1892 and was one of the original buildings and primary dormitory. It was expanded in 1895 and included a kitchen, an infirmary room, and a dining hall. The dormitory was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1904, with all of the residents escaping unharmed.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph, looking down College Avenue, shows Guilford Dormitory, McIver House and the Teague House. This twenty-two room dormitory was built in 1892 and was originally called Wooden Dormitory. It was then nicknamed “Midway” after the Chicago Exposition of 1893 and later called Guilford Dormitory. The dormitory was razed in 1935 to make room for the Alumni House. This two-story, ten-room house was built on the southwest corner of College Avenue and Spring Garden Street for President McIver and his family. Mrs. McIver lived there until her death in December 1944. It was torn down in 1952 and since then has been commemorated on two occasions. The Class of 1923, on the occasion of its 30th reunion, commissioned a small brick foundation from which the original 1892 School bell, or “University Bell,” which was used to summon the students, would hang. In 1967, on the occasion of the University’s 75th anniversary, the student body voted to build a more elaborate brick setting on the site named Student Anniversary Plaza. Student Anniversary Plaza was renovated in 2005 to incorporate the Vacc Bell Tower, named after Nicholas A. Vacc, Chair of the University Counseling Program, from 1986 to 1996. The Teague House was located on Spring Garden Street, where Curry Building now stands. It was rented by the College in 1899 for use as a dormitory. In 1922, the house was moved south to a site near the railroad to make way for the Alumnae Building.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows a man and a woman seated in an oxen drawn cart on Spring Garden Street. A woman and child can be seen walking along the street in the background. Spring Garden Street is a main east/west artery running through the heart of the campus. The section of Spring Garden Street between Aycock Street and Tate Street was extensively improved in 1998 to create a landscaped boulevard.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the science laboratory located inside the Main Building. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This 1900 postcard shows the original Guilford Dormitory on College Avenue, circa 1900. Part of President Charles Duncan McIver's residence can be seen on the left.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Postcard showing Charles McIver's Residence, with flags on the front porch, which was located at the corner of Spring Garden Street and College Avenue.

Collection: UA110 Postcards Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the McIver Family. Pictured on the first row are Charles Duncan McIver, Jr. (son) and Lula Martin McIver (daughter), on the second row, Charles Duncan McIver, Verlinda Miller McIver (daughter), and Lula Martin McIver (wife), and on the third row is Annie Martin McIver (daughter).

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


This circa 1900 photograph shows Charles Duncan (first row far left) and his daughter (second row second seated from left) touring New York. The tour started at the Hotel Bartholdi located at Broadway and Twenty-Third Street and covered all points of interest. The roundtrip fare at the time was $1.00.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


Manual training department on ground floor of Student's Building. The cornerstone of the Students’ Building was laid in 1902. Contributions from students, faculty, and visiting speakers allowed the completion of the three story structure in 1906. It housed the Domestic Science and Manual Training departments, the post office and book store, society halls, a banquet hall, and a 700 seat auditorium. The building was razed in 1950.

Collection: UA4 College of Arts and Sciences (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This attendance list shows the absences at college chapel services with some of the reasons for those absences.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


[Letter from President Charles McIver, Date Unknown]

McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906

1900

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


This is an acknowledgment from student Annie Hawkins that she had smoked cigarettes.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


This is an acknowledgment from student W. Chambers that she has smoked cigarettes and that she knows others who have done the same.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


In this written acknowledgment, Bettie Williams admits to the number of cigarettes she had smoked and notes that other people had smoked as well.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


[Request for Statistics]

McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906

1900

This document is a request for statistics, probably from the North Carolina State Senate.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


A list of academic regulations passed by the Faculty Council between May 8, 1890, to October 19, 1900, presented in non-chronological order.

Collection: UA1.7 UNCG Faculty Council/General Faculty (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Commencement address]

McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906

1900

This document, written by Charles McIver, is a handwritten copy of a speech he made at a commencement in the early 1900s.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


This document addresses the conditions for George Peabody's $10,000 donation to the college. He requires that half of the money go toward building a campus park with markers for important figures and events.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


[Speech promoting teacher salary increase]

McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906

1900

This speech by Charles McIver outlines the need for a teacher salary increase.

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


Previous - listing page 2 of 61 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo