Textiles, Teachers, and Troops

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 1880-1945

Search all collections for items

1495 records found browsing for the years 1900-1910.

The eighth annual catalogue of the State Normal and Industrial College located in Greensboro, N.C. for the school year 1899 to 1900. A lists of contents, the names and home county locations of the board of directors, officers of the board, officers, faculty, and students are included. The school's history, description of departments and teaching faculty, course of study, graduation, admissions, board, applications, examinations, important directions on school rules and holidays, social life, loans, fellowships, discipline, patronage, a list of graduating students, a list of the commencement, and an index are included. A graphic engraving of the main buildings of the school are included as well as an illustration of the geographical location of the school in Greensboro, N.C. with railroad connections and distances.

Collection: Course Catalogs (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College--Curricula--Catalogs; Universities and colleges--Curricula--Catalogs


[Board of Directors Report, North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College, 1900]

Board of Directors, North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College

1900

Biennial report of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College contains finacial information, events summaries, the president's report, and other illustrative material documenting the operation of the college.

Collection: Board of Directors Reports (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College; Teachers colleges -- North Carolina; Schools -- North Carolina -- Greensboro


There are two versions of the same image, one being the original, with all three images probably taken in the late 19th century after the building was constructed in 1893.

Collection: West Market Street United Methodist Church Archives (West Market Street United Methodist Church (Greensboro, N.C.))

Subjects: United Methodist Church (U.S.) -- North Carolina


A course catalog for Bennett College.

Collection: Bennett College Course Catalogs (Thomas F. Holgate Library, Bennett College)

Subjects: Bennett College (Greensboro, N.C.); Universities and colleges -- United States -- Periodicals; Universities and colleges -- Curricula -- Catalogs; African Americans -- Education; Women -- Education


This photo album compiled by Attorney C. Clifford Frazier, contains 12 photographs of Greensboro street scenes dating from around 1900. The photo captions are accurate, except for the image on page 008, which was originally identified as a State Normal College (UNCG) building, but which is actually the Main building at A&M College (NCA&T). This Greensboro Public Library album is currently housed at the Greensboro Historical Museum, in the GPL Loan Collection.

Collection: On loan from Greensboro Public Library to Greensboro Historical Museum (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century


Corner view of the Greensboro Opera House with a wagon carrying construction materials in front.

Collection: Postcards Collection (Greensboro Historical Museum) (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


A scene on south Elm Street, railroad trains cross the street and horse drawn wagons wait in the street.

Collection: Photo Collection -- General (Greensboro Historical Museum)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History--20th century


Collection: North Carolina Vertical File Collection (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: High Point (N.C.) -- History


Richard Gambier, architect

Gambier, Richard

1900

Collection: UNCG University Libraries General Collection (UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: Greensboro (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century; Greensboro (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century


Photograph of two people around the fountain in front of the Main Building in the early 1900s. The Wooden Dormitory can be seen in the background.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Physiology Lab in the Biology Department, also known as Dr. Bitting's classroom, with "Miriam" the skeleton, late 1890s to early 1900s.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Photograph of the Biology Lab and Mrs. Dixie Lee Bryant, who was a member of the first faculty, circa late 1890s to early 1900s.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


A rear view of the Brick Building with the Well House seen on the right. Sadie Hanes, class of 1898, is posed in profile in front of it with her hands on her hips. This photo was a gift of the Alumnae Association.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


[Lula Martin McIver]

Alderman Studio, Raleigh, N.C.

1900

Portrait of Lula Martin McIver, wife of Charles Duncan McIver, undated

Collection: UA2.1 Charles Duncan McIver Records, 1855-1906 (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro; McIver, Charles Duncan, 1860-1906


Brick Dormitory with porches, between 1898 and 1904.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Brick Dormitory with porches, between 1898 and 1904.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Brick Dormitory with porches in the snow, between 1898 and 1904.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Main Building and the Brick Dormitory, circa 1900. This photo appeared in State Normal Magazine, Volume four, Number four in 1900.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1900 photograph show the Library inside the Main Building. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to 1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This circa 1900 photograph shows the McIver's House as seen from College Avenue with someone standing on the porch.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the view of Spring Garden Street from the front of the Main Building capturing the fountain located in front of the building. The back of photograph reads "Front campus, along Spring Garden Street. Arrow denotes home of J.Y. Joyner, member of State Normal faculty 1892-1902. Small house first on left, home of Miss Gertrude Mendenhall, member of the mathematics dept. Highland Ave. later opened up to left of Mendenhall House. M. Hood Aug. 9, 1977" This photo was a gift from Mrs. W.G. Wilson (Annie L. Bonney) in 1919. Spring Garden Street is a main east/west artery running through the heart of the campus. The section of Spring Garden Street between Aycock Street and Tate Street was extensively improved in 1998 to create a landscaped boulevard.

Collection: UA104 Photographic Prints Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This photograph shows the Administration Building and other miscellaneous buildings in the background. This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to 1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


This building, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1892. Two flanking wings were added in 1895. From 1892 to 1908, the building was called Main Building and from 1908 to 1960 it was called Administration Building. In 1960, the building was named in honor of Julius Isaac Foust, president of College from 1906 to1934. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Brick Dormitory, designed by Epps & Hackett of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1892 and was one of the original buildings and primary dormitory. It was expanded in 1895 and included a kitchen, an infirmary room, and a dining hall. The dormitory was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1904, with all of the residents escaping unharmed.

Collection: UA103 Negatives Collection (Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives, UNCG University Libraries)

Subjects: University of North Carolina at Greensboro


listing page 1 of 60 - Next

Project partners:

university of north carolina logo bennett college logo greensboro college logo greensboro history museum logo greensboro public library logo guilford college logo north carolina a and t state university logo