/

Lindsay Street School Marker

As a child, O. Henry enrolled in Lindsay Street School in Greensboro but left at the age of 15. The school was the first permanent public graded school in North Carolina. It opened its doors in 1875 and closed them in 1925. The building is no longer standing, but a historical marker identifies where the school was located.

Lindsay Street School from Greensboro Historical Museum

From Greensboro Historical Museum

Lindsay Street School from Greensboro Historical Museum

From Greensboro Historical Museum

Lindsay Street School Marker from NC Highway Historical Markers Program

From North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program

Lindsay Street School Marker from NC Highway Historical Markers Program

From North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program