UNCG Home > The University Libraries > Civil Rights Greensboro Home > John Frank Manning
John Frank Manning
John Frank Manning (c.1886-1963) moved to Greensboro around 1935, after working during the 1920s as a photographer in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He opened the Manning Studio, where he and his son Paul did photographic portrait work. Although the majority of their business came from Greensboro and Guilford County, they worked throughout the state. The studio was located for most of its history in the 100 block of West Market Street. When John closed the downtown location in the late 1950s, he moved the business for a while to his home at 632 Ashland Drive. The studio focused exclusively on individual portraits. Manning was recognized locally as one of the most accomplished portrait photographers.