Dr. George H. Evans was born on May 18, 1907 and lived in Nashville, Tennessee, until the age of ten. His family then relocated to Miami, Florida, where he spent the remainder of his youth.
Evans received his undergraduate degree from Roger Williams College and his medical degree at Meharry Medical College, both located in Nashville, Tennessee. He interned at St. Louis City Hospital No. 2, in St. Louis, Missouri, then moved to Greensboro in December 1934. Evans worked as a physician in Greensboro from 1935 until 1985.
Dr. Evans was active in promoting integration and civil rights in Greensboro. He was chairman of the Mayor’s Special Committee on Human Rights in 1963 and had fought along with other African American physicians to obtain privileges at Moses Cone Memorial Hospital after it opened in 1953. He was also the first person of color to hold a seat on the Greensboro Housing Authority. In 2003, Dr. Evans, along with Oscar Burnett, established the Evans & Burnett Human Relations Scholarship Foundation, which is designed to honor all those who worked to improve race relations.
Evans has served on numerous boards and has had various honors bestowed upon him. Service on local boards includes Greensboro City Schools, Bennett College Board of Trustees, L. Richardson Memorial Hospital, and president of both the Old North State Medical Society and the Greensboro Medical Society. He was named Doctor of the Year in 1967, NAACP’s Man of the Year in 1981, received the Stepping Stones to Freedom Award in 1990, and was awarded North Carolina A&T State University’s Human Rights Medal in 2008.