UNCG Home > The University Libraries > Civil Rights Greensboro Home > Manning Studio Photograph Collection
Manning Studio Photograph Collection
The Manning Studio Photograph Collection contains approximately 32,000 portrait negatives, along with some finished prints, produced by the Greensboro studio from around 1939-1957. The subjects are primarily local and regional, with some images of out-of-state residents.
John Frank Manning (c.1886-1963) moved to Greensboro around 1935, after working during the 1920s as a photographer in Spartanburg, South Carolina. John's son, Paul, worked for his father intermittently, and took most of the out-of-town photographs. Although the majority of their business came from Greensboro and Guilford County, they worked throughout the state. The studio was located for most of its history in the 100 block of West Market Street. When John closed the downtown location in the late 1950s, he moved the business for a while to his home at 632 Ashland Drive.
The studio focused exclusively on individual portraits. Manning was recognized locally as one of the most accomplished portrait photographers. Although composed almost entirely of 5x7 inch black and white negatives, the collection does include some finished prints, such as several beautiful hand-colored photographs. This type of work was one of the trademarks of the studio.
For more information about this collection, consult the collection description and index to images located on the Greensboro Historical Museum website.
Greensboro Historical Museum
Items from this collection included in the CRG digital archive
Displaying items 1 - 1 of 1