Overdue Fines and Fees:
Borrowing and renewing privileges may be blocked when fine and/or fees are owed. *
Stacks, Current Literature, Audio Book, Paperback and Storage Items:
- No overdue fines are charged for items borrowed or renewed on or after May 12, 2014. See policy regarding lost fees below.
Reading Room/Entertainment DVDs:
- $1 per day per item with a maximum accumulation of $40 per item.
- No grace period.
- All items are due by midnight, or closing if earlier, on the due date.
Reserves and Instructional Films:
- Reserves and Instructional Films have higher fine rates, no grace period, and no maximum fine. Fines are charged around the clock.
- Items are due at the time stated on the checkout receipt.
- Overdue fines are not charged on items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan; however, patrons may be blocked from submitting new ILL requests until their overdue ILL items are returned. See policy regarding lost fees below.
* While UNCG Faculty are exempt from overdue fines, they are responsible for any fees owed. When faculty accounts exceed $99.99 owed, they are blocked from borrowing or renewing until the balance is reduced.
Lost, Processing, and Damaged Fees
Fees are charged to replace unreturned and damaged items, and to compensate for efforts involved in processing them.
- Replacement costs for UNCG Libraries materials are charged when items are returned or renewed after a specified amount of time past the due date (8 days for Course Reserves, DVDs, Tech Lending, and AV Equipment; 40 days for Stacks, Current Literature, Graphic Novel/Young Adult, Audiobook, and Paperback collections), declared lost by the borrower, or damaged beyond repair. Replacement costs and billing dates for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are determined by the lending library and may be charged when items are overdue, declared lost by the borrower, or damaged beyond repair.
- Each item billed will also include a non-reimbursable processing fee (see description below).
- Charges for UNCG owned materials vary according to the type of item. (Example: the total replacement cost including the processing fee of standard books and entertainment DVDs is $85.) Charges for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are determined by the lending library.
- Reimbursements for paid lost charges on UNCG Libraries materials are possible only when items are returned within 6 months of the original due date. Reimbursements for paid lost charges on items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are not refundable.
- Replacing items may be a less costly alternative. Replacements for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are dependent on the lending library's agreement to accept them. Please contact the ILL staff before purchasing ILL replacements.
- $20 per item service fee is included in the replacement cost of items borrowed from the UNCG Libraries and affiliates.
- $25 per item service fee is included in the replacement cost of items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan.
- $15 per item service fee is charged to UNCG students, faculty, and staff for items borrowed from any of the libraries with which the UNCG Libraries have a cooperative borrowing program for which we receive a bill.
- A processing fee is added to damage charges to compensate for staff time and effort to repair, reorder, and re-catalog items. The fee is determined by the amount of staff time and effort required.
- Processing fees are still owed if the item is returned or replaced.
Referral to Collection Agency:
- A $15 service fee is charged to compensate for referring delinquent accounts to an outside collection agency.
- Fees are charged to compensate for repairs or permanent damages to items. Examples of damages include, but are not limited to, writing/highlighting, missing pages, dog-eared pages, stains and other damages resulting from water, liquid, food spills, etc.
- Charges vary depending upon the extent of the damage.
- Charges may include a processing fee.
Failure to Return Recalled Items:
- Non-negotiable, non-refundable, $75 per item fee. This is in addition to any overdue fines, replacement, and processing fees owed.