Overdue Fines and Fees:
Borrowing and renewing privileges may be blocked when fine and/or fees are owed. *
Stacks, Current Literature, Audio Book, Paperback, Entertainment DVD, and Storage Items:
- No overdue fines. See policy regarding lost fees below.
Reserves and Instructional Films:
- Reserves and Instructional Films have higher fine rates, no grace period, and no maximum fine. Fines are charged around the clock whenever the library is open.
- Items are due before the daily closing time of the lending library
- Overdue fines are not charged on items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan; however, patrons may be blocked from submitting new ILL requests until their overdue ILL items are returned. See policy regarding lost fees below.
* While UNCG Faculty are exempt from overdue fines, they are responsible for any fees owed. When faculty accounts exceed $99.99 owed, they are blocked from borrowing or renewing until the balance is reduced.
Lost, Processing, and Damaged Fees
Fees are charged to replace unreturned items and to repair or replace damaged items. To report an item that should not be on your account, fill out the Jackson Library Item Claim Form.
- Replacement costs for UNCG Libraries materials are charged when items are returned or renewed after a specified amount of time past the due date (8 days for Course Reserves, DVDs, Tech Lending, and AV Equipment; 40 days for Stacks, Current Literature, Graphic Novel/Young Adult, Audiobook, and Paperback collections), declared lost by the borrower, or damaged beyond repair. Replacement costs and billing dates for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are determined by the lending library and may be charged when items are overdue, declared lost by the borrower, or damaged beyond repair.
- Charges for UNCG owned materials vary according to the type of item. (Example: the replacement cost of standard books and entertainment DVDs is $65.) Charges for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are determined by the lending library.
- Reimbursements for paid lost charges on UNCG Libraries materials are possible only when items are returned within 6 months of the original due date. Reimbursements for paid lost charges on items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are not refundable.
- Replacing items may be a less costly alternative. Replacements for items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan are dependent on the lending library's agreement to accept them. Please contact the ILL staff before purchasing ILL replacements.
Please note: As of April 25, 2022, processing fees are no longer charged for lost items owned by the UNCG Libraries. Any processing fees that were assessed prior to April 25, 2022, still apply.
- $25 per item service fee is included in the replacement cost of items borrowed from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan.
- $15 per item service fee is charged to UNCG students, faculty, and staff for items borrowed from any of the libraries with which the UNCG Libraries have a cooperative borrowing program for which we receive a bill.
- Processing fees are still owed if the item is returned or replaced.
- Fees are charged to compensate for repairs or permanent damages to items. Examples of damages include, but are not limited to, writing/highlighting, missing pages, dog-eared pages, stains and other damages resulting from water, liquid, food spills, etc.
- Charges vary depending upon the extent of the damage.
Failure to Return Recalled Items:
- All checked out items are subject to immediate recall for course reserves and other extreme circumstances as determined by Access Services Staff. Recalled items are assigned a Recall Due Date that may supersede the original due date. Not returning items by the Recall Due Date may result in:
- Loss of borrowing and renewing privileges until the items are returned or replaced.
- A non-negotiable, non-refundable $75.00 fee per item added to the borrower's library account. This fee is in addition to any overdue fines and billing fees owed based on the original due date.